|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA) (2005)|
|Effect||Grants the Kongs temporary invincibility|
An Invincibility Barrel, also named Exclamation Point Barrel or Invincible Barrel, is an uncommon type of barrel that appears in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Donkey Kong Land 2, and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! Invincibility Barrels grant temporary invincibility to the Kongs, similarly to a Super Star from the Super Mario series. They are identifiable from the large white exclamation mark painted on them. The effects of the Invincibility Barrel allow for some stronger enemies to be instantly defeated, although normally invulnerable enemies, such as Snapjaws, remain unaffected by this.
Invincibility Barrels are sometimes hidden and/or required to reach a Bonus Level. One example is in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, during Bramble Scramble, where Diddy and Dixie Kong can use an Invincibility Barrel to safely cross a nearby bramble path and fire into a Bonus Barrel. In Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!'s Riverside Race, Dixie and Kiddy Kong must use an Invincibility Barrel (which is invisible, with a banana representing its location) to jump onto three red Buzzes to reach a Bonus Barrel on the hill.
Though Invincibility Barrels have no other appearances, the concept of invincibility also appears in some other games of the Donkey Kong franchise. In Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong's Strong Kong gives him temporary invincibility, so long as he has a supply of Crystal Coconuts. In DK: King of Swing and DK: Jungle Climber, the player can become temporarily invincible by using the "Go Bananas" ability with 20 bananas and Crystal Stars, respectively.
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
- Wii U Virtual Console manual bio: "Break this barrel to become temporarily invincible."
An Invincibility Barrel, as seen in 4koma Manga Kingdom
Names in other languages
|Italian||Barile punto esclamativo
|Exclamation mark barrel|
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! instruction booklet, page 24.
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest instruction booklet, page 18.
- Nintendo Power volume 79, page 17.
- Nintendo Magazine System (Australia) issue 35, page 24.
- Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy instruction booklet, page 23.
- Donkey Kong Land 2 Italian manual, pag. 19
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! Spanish-Italian booklet, pag. 52
- Donkey Kong Land 2 e-manual, pag. 13
- Donkey Kong Country 2 European manual, pag. 115
- Donkey Kong Country 3; European booklet, pag. 121