Stop & Go Barrel
- “Found on Stop & Go Station, one touch of these barrels will stop a Rock Kroc in its tracks.”
- —Donkey Kong Country (GBA) instruction booklet, page 17
Stop & Go Barrels, also named GO barrels, are a type of barrel that appears in Donkey Kong Country, where they are exclusive to the level Stop & Go Station. They are each a dark barrel reading either "Stop" or "Go" on it, respectively in red and green text, and are similar to ON/OFF Switches. The stage lighting corresponds to the Stop & Go Barrels' current setting (red for "Stop" and green for "Go").
In Stop & Go Station, most of the paths are occupied by the invulnerable Rock Krocs, whose movements can be manipulated from the numerous Stop & Go Barrels appearing throughout the level. By default, each Stop & Go Barrel is set to "Go," permitting the Rock Krocs to move around. If Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong jump at a Stop & Go Barrel, it and the other barrels of its type temporarily read "Stop," causing the Rock Krocs to curl into a ball and cease movement. This allows the Kongs to safely pass the Rock Krocs. After a while, the Stop & Go Barrels revert to "Go," and the Rock Krocs resume movement. The duration in which the barrels are set to "Stop" is based on the distance from that Stop & Go Barrel to the next one.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Barile semaforo||Traffic light barrel|
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Pages 14 and 48.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) issue 26 (NMS Special), page 27.
- Donkey Kong Country (GBA); European booklet, pag. 103