Black drums, also referred to as Enemy Drums, Slippa Drums, or simply oil drums, are steel drum obstacles that appear in a few levels of Donkey Kong Country. Each black drum has the ability to spawn an unlimited number of a specific enemy, either Gnawties, Armies, Klaptraps, or Slippas. An enemy comes out of a black drum every few seconds. Black drums can be stood on just as on a platform, during which they do not expel any enemies. Winky the Frog can continuously bounce on black drums, though without inflicting any damage on them. In order to destroy a black drum, the Kongs have to toss a barrel at it. Black drums appear in Winky's Walkway, Elevator Antics, and Misty Mine, appearing as the main obstacle of the last one.
The fifth boss, Dumb Drum, is a larger variant of a black drum. It has the ability to spawn larger enemies that normal ones cannot, including Kritters and Klumps. Black drums also have a similar variant, oil drums, that emits flames instead of enemies. In addition, there are similar objects in Donkey Kong Land referred to as baskets of snakes, which spawn only Slippas and can harm the Kongs when rolling down stairways.
Names in other languages
||Bidone di benzina
- ^ Folsom, Jessica, and Steve Thomason (2003). Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Page 100.
- ^ Hodgson, David S. J. Donkey Kong Country Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 6.
- ^ Hodgson, David S. J. Donkey Kong Country Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 131.
- ^ Nintendo Magazine System (UK) #26, page 26. "PLAY MISTY FOR ME Some caves are shrouded in a thick mist which does it's[sic] best to conceal the snake-spitting oil drums. Use TNT to smash the barrels or use them as steps to higher ledges."
- ^ Donkey Kong Country Italian manual, pag. 29