On & Off Barrel
On & Off Barrels, also known as ON/OFF Barrels (or On/Off Barrels), are a type of barrel that appears only in Loopy Lights in Donkey Kong Country. As suggested by their name, On & Off Barrels act similarly to light switches. They are found either on the ground or in midair. By default, every On & Off Barrel has the white text "OFF" painted on it. If Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong touch an On & Off Barrel, all On & Off Barrels switch to "ON," lighting up the level for a few seconds, during which the Kongs can see the path and the enemies ahead. On & Off Barrels are similar to the Stop & Go Barrels from Stop & Go Station. In the Game Boy Color version, Loopy Lights is not as dark while the ON/OFF Barrels are turned off, and the Game Boy Advance version gives the level maroon tint while the On & Off Barrels are set to "OFF," making it even less dark.
Though On & Off Barrels make no other appearances, the Donkey Kong Land 2 iteration of Glimmer's Galleon features a similar type of barrel throughout, named Light Barrels, which temporarily brighten up the level.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Barile ON / OFF||ON / OFF barrel|
- Donkey Kong Country Game Boy Advance instruction booklet, page 17.
- Folsom, Jessica, and Steve Thomason (2003). Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Page 102.
- M. Arakawa. Donkey Kong Country Player's Guide. Page 115. "This one’s got it all. Loopy Lights is a tester! Not only are you trying to get through a treacherous mine shaft, you have to worry about switching on the ON/OFF Barrels to see where you’re going."
- Hodgson, David S. J. Donkey Kong Country Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 6.
- Donkey Kong Country (GBA); European booklet, pag. 103