Check and X Barrels
|Check and X Barrels|
|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) (2004)|
Check and X Barrels are types of barrels that appear in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Land 2. A Check Barrel has a check mark painted on it, and an X Barrel has a "X" painted on it (the symbols are colored green and red, respectively, in Donkey Kong Country 2). Check and X Barrels are featured in the level Target Terror, either in midair or on the track. Their purpose is to open or close a gate. Check Barrels open a gate, while X Barrels close it. Therefore, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong must hit the Check Barrels and avoid the X Barrels, to avoid losing a Kong or a life.
Haunted Hall features similar types of barrels, the Plus and Minus Barrels. They are similar in that they are respectively marked with a green and red symbol. Rather than opening gates, these barrels increase or decrease the timer during each Kackle chase. The Kongs must hit the Plus Barrels while avoiding their Minus variant. They also make the same sound effect as Check and X Barrels do when the Kongs run into one.
Names in other languages
Ōpun Bareru to Kurōzu Bareru
|Open Barrel & Close Barrel|
|Italian||Barili porte aperte e porte chiuse||Open and closed doors barrels|
- The English manual's description of the Check and X Barrels incorrectly refers to the Check Barrels as "U Barrels."
- In Donkey Kong 64, during Chunky's Mine Cart Ride in Fungi Forest, there are green and red bells that function similarly.
- ^ Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest instruction booklet, page 18.
- ^ Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy instruction booklet, page 23.
- ^ Donkey Kong Country 2 European manual, pag. 114