Glimmer's Galleon (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)
|Level code||3 - 2|
|Game||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest|
|Music track||Lockjaw's Saga|
|<< Directory of levels >>|
Glimmer's Galleon is the twelfth level in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and the second level of Krem Quay. It takes place in the flooded cargo of a dark, submerged galleon. For nearly the entire level, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong are assisted by the titular Glimmer, who follows them around, lighting the path forward. The Kongs encounter four types of underwater enemies: Flotsams, Puftups, Shuris and Lockjaws. A Klomp appears near the start, walking underwater, and a Spiny appears at the very end, when the Kongs exit the cargo. It is the only underwater level without Enguarde, meaning that none of the underwater enemies can be defeated. Like in previous underwater levels, there are certain parts of the wall that Diddy and Dixie can swim through.
At the beginning of the level, the player can swim through a passage among several large crates and barrels. By swimming north, the player can find a hidden room that allows them to play a Bonus Level. The Kongs can head through some crates above the entrance of the room to reach a room with two Banana Bunches and some bananas that form a "3" shape. Another hidden area with a Video Game Hero Coin and some bananas that form a "4" shape. are located above here If the player heads south through the passage at the beginning of the level, they can reach a DK Barrel and a banana trail leading to a pile of large crates and barrels with a Klomp. Continuing through the trail leads to a Flotsam and a thin channel. Glimmer appears here before reaching the Flotsam. On the other side of the channel, there are more Flotsams and a hidden channel leading into a small room with a Banana Bunch.
After passing through an additional passage in this room, the player can either head through an area to the north or another area to the south. In the upper path, there is a Lockjaw, some bananas in an alcove, and a large barrel that holds a Banana Coin. The lower path consists of a Lockjaw and some Flotsams, as well as two alcoves full of bananas. At the meeting point of the two passages, there are more Flotsams and a small channel that leads to another pair of passages. The lower passage has a Flotsam, a DK Barrel, and a small crate that leads to the upper passage. The upper passage leads to another passage that allows the player to reach an area with a Lockjaw and Banana Bunch. After passing through a channel above here, the player can enter an area leading to a passage consisting of two Banana Coins, bananas, and a photograph, which is only in the Game Boy Advance version. The passage also allows the player to take a shortcut leading to a room found after the letter O.
If the player skips the passage, they must instead swim upwards to a smaller area with two Lockjaws and bananas in an alcove. A larger area is located north of here, and it contains some Flotsams and the letter O is hidden in an alcove behind a crate in this room. The player can then reach the small room, which leads through the channel, and by swimming west, the player can reach a room with a Puftup in the center of it. After going down a passage below the room, the Kongs can either reach a safe area without obstacles, or an area with a Lockjaw, Banana Bunch, and a Banana Coin in a crate. Both paths connect in a part with a Flotsam and two thin channels above it. Both channels lead to the same part of the level, which has a Flotsam, and some bananas. To the left of the Flotsam is a passage, and a wider area with a Star Barrel and a trail is on the other side of it.
The trail sends the player towards a channel leading to the west with a DK Barrel. An arrow formed by a group of bananas can be followed to progress into a large room with a Shuri and a Flotsam. Another large room with a Puftup, an alcove with a Banana Bunch and a Shuri are located in this area. A passage is located above the Shuri, and to the right, there is a crate that leads to an Exclamation Point Barrel in the Game Boy Advance version. A wide room with a Lockjaw and some Shuris are located above here. To the west, there is an additional room with a Puftup and by passing through a small passage above it, the Kongs can reach an area with a Lockjaw, a Banana Bunch, and the letter N.
After passing a narrow channel with a DK Barrel and swimming upwards, the Kongs can reach an area with some large barrels and a Lockjaw. After passing by several Shuris in a wider area to the right and a Flotsam, there is a curvy path with lots of Shuris snd an alcove with the golden feather. The curvy path then allows the Kong to reach a Puftup and a narrow passage, which is located next to two passages that lead up and down. The passage leading upwards takes the Kongs to an area with a Lockjaw and a Banana Bunch. Passing by a wider section to the right of here, The lower passage instead leads to a wider area with a Lockjaw and a channel leading to an open crate, allowing the player to access a Bonus Level.
The passages both connect to a vast room with some Flotsams and a Puftup, and a small passage guarded by a Lockjaw appears here. The lower passage from before connects to a smaller room below this area. The room and the passage both connect in front of three Puftups, and a Banana Coin. In the bottom-right corner, there is a banana arrow that directs the player upwards through a thin channel. After reaching an Auto Fire Barrel in the channel, the Kongs are shot to the deck of a ship with a Spiny and End of Level Target.
The following enemies appear in the following quantities:
Items and objects
The following items and objects appear in the following quantities:
- K: After encountering Glimmer, the Kongs must swim up past a few Flotsams. As they continue northeast, Diddy and Dixie encounter a Lockjaw. The Kongs can obtain the letter K from an alcove to the upper-right.
- O: Shortly after the letter K, the Kongs must swim up a vertical passage with some Lockjaws. At the end of it, they must swim to the right and pass through a crate to obtain the letter O.
- N: When the Kongs encounter the second Lockjaw after the Star Barrel, they can swim below to find two alcoves. The alcove on the right has a Banana Bunch while the left alcove has the letter N.
- G: After the letter N, the Kongs must swim past numerous Shuri, then three Flotsams, and a Puftup. By swimming up, Diddy and Dixie can find two Lockjaws. The letter G is in the middle alcove above them.
- Cranky's Video Game Hero Coin: Above the first Bonus Level's entrance, Diddy and Dixie can swim through the crates. This takes them into a hidden room with bananas shaping the number 3. A Banana Bunch appears in each corner of the room except the upper-right, where the Kongs can swim through the crate above to enter another room which has bananas in the shape of the number 4. The Video Game Hero Coin appears to the very left.
- Golden feather (Game Boy Advance version only): After the letter N, Diddy and Dixie must swim past three Shuri. They must then swim straight up to find the golden feather in an alcove.
- Photographs (Game Boy Advance version only): Glimmer's Galleon has two photographs:
- After the second DK Barrel, the Kongs must continue up past a Lockjaw. To their left is a Banana Coin, and they can obtain it by swimming through some crates. They must swim above into another small, seemingly empty area. The invisible photograph appears left, and is only revealed when the Kongs obtain it. The photograph is an image of Glimmer, shown on the fourteenth page of the Scrapbook.
- Shortly after the Star Barrel, the Kongs must swim past a Puftup. They then encounter a Shuri at the bottom of a vertical path. A lone banana appears between the crates, which indicates an invisible Exclamation Point Barrel. Under the barrel's effects, the Kongs must quickly swim up and go to the bottom-left where they find a Shuri with a photograph above its head. They must swim into the Shuri to defeat it and obtain its photograph for the fourth page of their Scrapbook.
Glimmer's Galleon has two Bonus Levels, listed by type:
- Find the Token!: At the start of the level, the Kongs must swim directly above to enter a spacious room. They must follow a trail of bananas which take them to a large opening of a crate that leads into the first Bonus Level. In it, the Kongs must swim through a curvy path of crates and barrels. They have 40 seconds to obtain the Kremkoin at the top right of the area.
- Find the Token!: After the letter N, the Kongs eventually come across a group of bananas arranged as a right arrow. Instead of going the specified direction, Diddy and Dixie must swim below, where they encounter a Lockjaw. A narrow path is below the Lockjaw, and like the first Bonus Level, a trail of bananas lead the Kongs into an open crate to the second Bonus Level. Similarly to the first Bonus Level, the Kongs have only 35 seconds to make their way through a path and obtain a Kremkoin at the top-right of the area.
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Boy Advance
Names in other languages
|Diving in the Darkness|
|French||Galion de Glimmer||Glimmer's Galleon|
|German||Glimmers Galeone||Glimmer's Galleon|
|Spanish||Atisbo de Galeón/Galeón de Glimmer||Glimmer of Galleon/Glimmer's Galleon|