Web Woods (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)
|5 - 5
|Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
|<< Directory of levels >>
Web Woods is the twenty-seventh level of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. It is the fifth and final level of Gloomy Gulch. Web Woods takes place in a foggy forest, and Diddy and Dixie Kong are transformed into Squitter from a small room after the first portion. The Kongs have to go through a two-floored terrain with numerous Krunchas, Kutlasses, and Neeks. While transformed into Squitter, he has to cross over huge pitfalls, which he can only do by creating temporary web platforms. A lot of Zingers and Mini-Neckys appear above the large gaps, but the ground portions usually have Kaboings.
The level begins next to a few stair-like platforms that have Neeks on them. A DK Barrel is at the top of the stairs near a high piece of land. The Kongs can climb up to the piece of land to find a crate and a treasure chest containing an item. They also find a pair of Krunchas and a Kutlass here. Some raised land appears behind the area with the Kutlass, holding a Banana Coin. The letter K sits in front of it. If the Kongs do not choose to climb up to the raised area found after the DK Barrel, they can continue along the path to find two Kutlasses. After climbing up some platforms from here, the Kongs head along a pathway to a Neek. A lower area with a hill to the right of it is ahead. The Kongs must move around the hill by traveling along the path to the left, which leads them slightly closer to the foreground. A small ledge is shortly after this path that drops the heroes to another pathway with several Neeks on it. The path leads around the hill to a slightly raised piece of land with a Zinger on it. A Kaboom in a TNT Barrel rests next to the Zinger.
If the Kongs pass the Zinger, they can find a passage in the side of a wall that takes them into an area with an Animal Barrel in it, which transforms them into Squitter. A DK Barrel floats above the Animal Barrel. At this point, Squitter must enter another passage in the side of a wall. The passage takes him into an open area. A gap can be found at the beginning the area, with a Zinger and a Banana Bunch floating in it. Farther ahead, some raised land with a Zinger on it can be seen. A Kutlass waits for Squitter at the bottom of the hill. Using his webs to climb the hill allows Squitter to reach a pathway with several stairs on it. Kaboings bounce all the way up the stairs. An abyss can be found to the right of here with a few Zingers flying throughout it. Two Zingers guard a DK Barrel at the top of a hill that follows this gap, and a smaller abyss can be found after the hill. A Krook stands on a platform on the other side of the gap. Another gap follows the platform, along with another platform on the other side. There is an vertical arrangement of four Zingers above another abyss. Afterward, Squitter lands on the ground, and a green Kaboing bounces off a hill in the center; the DK Barrel and Star Barrel are located below the hill.
If Squitter continues, he reaches another wall of Zingers who float above a wide gap. If Squitter passes them and travels over the gap, he comes up to a few bananas and the letter O. Two more groups of Zingers also appear. A few more platforms are on the other side of the abyss. Soon, Squitter can find a larger abyss ahead of him. A Kloak stands on the platform on the opposite side of the gap. Two more gaps are ahead, with more platforms on the other sides of them. Kannons stand on the two platforms following the gaps. Another pit can be found after the second Kannon, and it has the letter N in it. Some stair-like structures are located on the other side of it, and Mini-Neckys swoop down as Squitter goes down the stairs. The Mini-Neckys continue to attack him as he cross a large gap nearby. A platform can be found on the other side of the abyss with a Kannon on it. More Zingers can be found floating in the gap. A hill is on the other side of the gap, and as soon Squitter drops down it, a Kaboing jumps at him from a hill in the background. A second hill can be found, and it has another Kaboing on it. A Kannon also shoots at Squitter as he progresses along this pathway. A small gap follows here, and once it is crossed, Squitter can find a No Animal Sign. If he crosses it, he is transformed back into the Kongs. The End of Level Target can be found nearby, and the Kongs can blast on it from a Barrel Cannon to win either a Banana, a Banana Bunch, a Banana Coin, or even a Video Game Hero Coin.
The following enemies appear in the following quantities:
Kaboing (gray) (4)
Kruncha (blue) (2)
Kutlass (green) (4)
Zinger (yellow) (26)
Items and objects
The following items and objects appear in the following quantities:
- K: At the start of the level, the Kongs must use team up to reach an upper area. The letter K is located above a Kutlass in the center of the upper area.
- O: After the Star Barrel, Squitter must pass two vertical formations of three Zingers to find the letter O between two single Bananas.
- N: Squitter must go past a Krook and two Kannons, each of whom are standing on a pillar. The letter N floats in a gap between the third pillar and a set of steps. It is located a bit lower than the peak of the steps, and Squitter must use a web platform to reach the letter.
- G: Awarded when the Kongs cross the No Animal Sign at the very end.
- Cranky's Video Game Hero Coin: The Video Game Hero Coin is one of the prizes of the End of Level Target. To obtain it, the Kongs must enter a Barrel Cannon, then blast on the End of Level Target just before the depicted prize changes from a lone Banana to a Video Game Hero Coin, because it only displays for half a second. In the Game Boy Advance remake, the End of Level Target cycles through the prizes at a slower rate, and the required timing is not as critical. Web Woods is the second and final level to have its Video Game Hero Coin obtained from this method.
- Golden feather (Game Boy Advance version only): Located against a wall and positioned at the far bottom-right of a red Zinger circling a Banana Coin. Squitter must use web platforms to head down and obtain it.
- Photograph (Game Boy Advance version only): Acquired by defeating the center Neek from a group of three Neeks located shortly before entering the small room with the Squitter Barrel. The photograph depicts Neek on the first page of the scrapbook.
Web Woods has two Bonus Levels, listed by type:
- Find the Token!
Shortly after the letter N, Squitter must pass over a gap with numerous Mini-Neckys. Afterwards, he can find a Kannon firing kannonballs, and must head left and follow the kannonball. This is also hinted at by a trail of bananas shaped like a left arrow. The kannonball eventually hits the wall, breaking open an entrance to the first Bonus Area. Here, Squitter has to collect the Kremkoin on other side within 30 seconds. He must cross through a narrow pathway between two brambles and three vertically-aligned Zingers, both of which he must avoid or else he loses. The pathway connecting the start and end point is narrow and is located between the brambles. Squitter is required to use his web platforms to pass through.
- Collect the Stars!: After passing the same Kannon shooting in the direction of the first Bonus Area, Squitter must cross another pit and pass through some red Zingers. After reaching the ground, Squitter must avoid some green Kaboings, and like last time, another nearby Kannon blasts a kannonball into the wall on the left. This Bonus Area requires Squitter to collect 30 stars, which are arranged to resemble the Rare logo. Squitter must use his web platforms, as the stars are located above a pit. After collecting them all, the Kremkoin spawns in front of the exit.
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Concept artwork of Web Woods.
Game Boy Advance
Names in other languages
Kiri no Mori
|Toile des Bois
|Web of Woods
|Wald des Grauens
|Forest of Horror