Hornet Hole (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)
|Level code||4 - 1|
|Game||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest|
|Music track||Flight of the Zinger|
|<< Directory of levels >>|
Hornet Hole is the seventeenth level of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and the first level of Krazy Kremland. It takes place in a wasp hive filled with Zingers, and there is sticky honey coating one some of the walls and on parts of the ground. The Kongs can neither walk nor attack while they are stuck to the honey, and jumping is the only way they can free themselves from it. Diddy and Dixie cling to the honey on the wall and jump up until they get to the top. Alternatively, if there is another wall of honey adjacent to the wall that the Kongs are on, they can wall jump from both walls, similarly to a Wall Jump. Aside from Zingers, there are Spinies, a few Click-Clacks near the starting area, and a few Krooks later on into the level. A Squitter Crate is on a floating platform just before the Star Barrel, and to reach it, the Kongs must use a team up throw to reach a hook and then jump their way up the honey-covered wall. Squitter cannot be slowed down by the honey on the ground, and his web platforms for access into some of the hidden areas.
At the start of the level, the heroes need to travel east down several high ledges. However, they can also grab onto a nearby hook at the hive's entrance to be able to climb to a hidden area that contains some honey-covered walls to climb with. At the top of this hidden area, they can find a trio of hooks that are positioned above two Banana Bunches and a Banana Coin. A few entryways leading into Bonus Levels are also here. Once the primates begin to head to the east from the entrance of the hive, they come up to a DK Barrel and a few spots on the ground which are splattered with honey. It is too sticky to walk across, so they must jump through it. There are also Click-Clacks and a Zinger on the way over. Soon, they approach a wall of honey that they must hop on. It is sticky enough for the Kongs to hang on and climb to the next ledge. Another wall of honey is near this ledge that leads to the top of a structure with a Banana Coin on it.
Continuing east from here leads the heroes to a few Zingers hovering over some honey. A barrel rests near here, and it is followed by a Spiny and another Zinger above some honey. The group must then climb another wall of honey nearby, passing a lone Zinger on the way up. The letter K is also on the way up. At the top of the honey wall, they must begin to travel west to discover more honey with Zingers and Spinies above and around it. At the end of the path, the heroes have to jump across a small abyss to land onto a third wall of honey. A Zinger waits at the bottom of the honey. When the primates get to the top of this wall, they must continue to travel through the gooey honey all over the ground. They can find a DK Barrel on the way across this area. There are also some Spinies marching in a line on the way to dodge, and one of these Spinies is in possession of a photograph, found exclusively in the Game Boy Advance version of the game. After they are passed, the Kongs reach the nearby Star Barrel. An animal crate containing Squitter is located on a structure above this barrel.
At this point, the Kongs must continue forward and climb up yet another honey-splattered wall. At the bottom of this wall, there is a Zinger who guards a Blast Barrel. If the heroes have Squitter, they can defeat this Zinger to access the barrel and shoot to the top of the honey wall. As they travel to the top of this wall, they come up to a Zinger that surrounds a Banana Coin. Additionally, if they continue up the right side of the wall, they can reach a DK Barrel and the letter O. When they get to the top of the wall, they discover a few more Zingers hovering above the sticky honey. After they climb a few ledges, they reach a hook with a lone Zinger circling it. The hook can help them reach a ledge placed nearby, where there is a path leading to the east with a Spiny on it. Some sections of this path are covered in honey, and a Krook waits at the end of one of the honey piles. The honey pile following this is located under a Zinger that flies between a DK Barrel and a Banana Bunch. After passing a few Spinies ahead of here, the Kongs reach a small pit with a hook above it. As before, a Zinger surrounds it, so they must watch for the foe.
Several ledges coated with honey are on the other side of the pit, and Spinies walk along them. At the bottom of the ledges, there is a thin gap with a Zinger on top of it. If they defeat this foe, they can safely enter the gap to find a hidden area that contains a Blast Barrel and a wall of Zingers that block a room consisting of many bananas and a Video Game Hero. They can exit this secret area with the use of the nearby Blast Barrel. Outside of this gap, the primates can find another Blast Barrel being guarded by a Zinger. They can use this barrel or the nearby honey wall to reach a ledge with a Krook positioned on it. The letter N floats above this enemy's head. Another wall of honey is to the left of here, and as they climb up this, a fast-moving Zinger, who flies over another DK Barrel, gets in their way. If they travel west at the top of the wall, they come across more Spinies that walk over gooey honey. A ledge with a Bonus Level ahead of it is hidden at the top of this area, and it is guarded by a Zinger. To the west of here, there is a small pit that can only be crossed with the use of a hook that is surrounded by a Zinger.
On the other side of the pit, the group can discover a honey wall with a Zinger at the bottom of it. Once they reach the top of the wall, they encounter a Krook, who stands in front of a barrel. A large structure that can be reached with a hook is hidden above this foe, and it is covered in bananas. If they do not head along this structure, they must instead travel across a pile of honey with a Spiny walking along it. Two Zingers also hover over this honey. There is another pit ahead of here with a small section of honey just before it. A pair of hooks above this pit must be used to cross. As they use the hooks, the Kongs must watch for a Zinger that hovers under them. After they manage to cross, they come up to a No Animal Sign. If they reach this sign with Squitter, they are given a red Extra Life Balloon. A honey wall is near here, and if the primates climb it, they can find a ledge with the level's End of Level Target on it. The level is complete when this target is hit. Additionally, if the Kongs land on the target from a high part of the honey wall, they can obtain either the letter G, a Banana, or a Banana Bunch from it.
The following enemies appear in the following quantities:
Items and objects
The following items and objects appear in the following quantities:
Banana Bunch (6)
Banana Coin (4)
DK Barrel (5)
Life Balloon (green) (1)
Life Balloon (red) (1)
Treasure chest (1)
- K: Between the second pair of honey-covered walls that must be climbed.
- O: After the Star Barrel, the Kongs must climb up two more walls of honey. If they climb all the way up the right wall, they can obtain the letter O.
- N: Floating above a Krook just after the hidden area with the Video Game Hero Coin.
- G: One of the prizes given when landing on the End of Level Target at the end of the level.
- Cranky's Video Game Hero Coin: Halfway through the level, just before the letter N and Krook, there is a Zinger blocking a gap. If the Kongs have Squitter with them, they can utilize his web projectile to defeat the enemy and then drop down into the small chamber. Down below, there are another two Zingers blocking the path to a room. Squitter must also shoot webs at them. The room consists of numerous bananas and the Video Game Hero Coin floating hovering at the top, which can only be reached by using Squitter's web platforms.
- Golden feather (Game Boy Advance version only): At the second DK Barrel, the Kongs can jump off the ledge to the right to reach a lone Banana in midair. The lone banana represents the location of an invisible hook. From there, the Kongs must hop between a couple of more hooks to the right until reaching a hook with the golden feather floating beneath it. Alternatively, they can use Squitter's web platforms to go all the way to the right.
- Photograph (Game Boy Advance version only): After the primates pass the second DK Barrel in the level, they come up to a group of Spinies, one of which who sports a camera icon above its head. By defeating this foe, the Kongs are rewarded with a photograph of Spiny in the seventh page of the Scrapbook.
Hornet Hole has three Bonus Levels, listed by their type:
- Find the Token!: At the start of the level, a hook can be found above the Kongs, which they can reach with their team up move. There are some walls splattered with honey above this hook, and the primates can use the honey to climb to the top of the area, where there is a trio of hooks with some collectibles under them. The hooks can be used to reach a ledge with an entryway ahead of it. The entryway leads to a Bonus Level, where they must release a Kremkoin from a Treasure Chest within the time limit of 25 seconds. To break open the treasure chest, the heroes must throw it at the eight Zingers scattered throughout the area. When they defeat the final Zinger with the chest, the Kremkoin falls out of the chest.
- Find the Token!: The Kongs must drop down from the ledge with the entrance to the first Bonus Level to land on another ledge with the entrance to the second Bonus Level. In the Bonus Level, the Kongs have 10 seconds to climb up a set of two long honey walls in order to reach a Kremkoin at the top.
- Find the Token!: After passing the letter N, the Kongs must continue upward until they encounter two Spinies. They can see a few sets of two Bananas floating above them, which represent the Kongs having to utilize Squitter's web platforms to head up northeast to find a corner with a Zinger, who is guarding the entryway to the Bonus Level. After defeating the Zinger, the Kongs and Squitter can enter into the Bonus Level. The objective is for them to utilize Squitter's webs to reach the Kremkoin at the top of a tall, thin area within 15 seconds. In the Game Boy Advance remake, the Kongs are not required to have Squitter, because the two walls are coated in honey for them to jump from.
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Boy Advance
Names in other languages
|French||Frelons Frémissants||Quivering Hornets|
|German||Wespen Falle (SNES)
|Spanish||Nido de Avispas||Wasps' Nest|