A Huffin Puffin family in Yoshi's Story
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Mario Party Advance (2005)|
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Huffin Puffins are always in a group of one parent and a couple of juveniles. If Yoshi hits the mother, she will run in the opposite direction, and Yoshi is able to take the children. They act the same as Eggs, so Yoshi can pick them up by walking into them. If Yoshi loses one, he can return to the area where the mother is walking to claim more. Sometimes if the Huffin Puffin chick throw is canceled, they attempt to run away. The artwork depicts them with brown feet, while the in-game sprite depicts them with light blue feet.
The young ones are extremely useful, as when Yoshi throws one, it circles about in boomerang fashion, eventually returning. It can only hit a surface three times, any more and it falls off the screen. When Yoshi jumps through the goal at the end of the level, the puffin kids will fly away.
The Huffin Puffin family returns in Yoshi's Story. They are only found in Stage 1-2: Surprise!! and Stage 3-4: Frustration. They act exactly like they did in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. The Baby Yoshis growl at the Huffin Puffin as if it were an enemy. In this game, their beak and buttons are orange, they have legs, and their feet are green.
Yoshi's Woolly World / Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
- Main article: Fluffin' Puffin
Relatives of the Huffin Puffin known as Fluffin' Puffins appear in Yoshi's Woolly World and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World. Unlike Huffin Puffins, the adult Fluffin' Puffin can be destroyed, while the chicks have been redesigned and no longer come back when thrown; instead, they create a fluffy, cloud-like platform that follows their movement.
Mario Party Advance
Huffin Puffin and its children make a small cameo in Mario Party Advance. In Bowser Lab, Bowser and Koopa Kid will ask the player what kind of opponent they want to face in a duel minigame; if the player chooses the "very scary one", Huffin Puffin will appear out of nowhere, simply say, "...Huffin puffin..." and walk away. Bowser will then chastise the player and say next time they should just challenge the "scary one". The game's end credits say Huffin Puffin disappeared and that not even Bowser knows where it went.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: 親を踏んづけると、ヨッシーを親とまちがえて子供がついてくる。タマゴのように投げても、ブーメランみたいにもどってくる。 (If you step on the parent, the children will mistake Yoshi for the parent and follow. If you throw them like eggs, they come back like boomerangs.)
- Player's Guide: The babies of this harmless bird tag along behind Yoshi. You can throw them like eggs and they'll boomerang back.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: 先頭の親をふんだい、タマゴを当てたりした後、連なっている子供にさわればヨッシーについてくる。投げると、ブーメランみたいにもどって来るぞ。 (After stepping on the parent in the lead or hitting it with an egg, touch the children in a row, and they will follow Yoshi. When you throw them, they come back like boomerangs.)
- Shogakukan guide: うちのコにしたい子ガモたち。頭を踏むとついてくるよ。 (Ducklings we want to make our own. If you step on their heads, they will follow you.)
An adult Huffin Puffin from Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Names in other languages
|Elongation of「軽鴨」(karugamo, spot-billed duck)|
|French||Cot, Cot||Reduplicated form of the onomatopoeia "cot" (cluck)|
|Masculine form of "knall" (puff) or "knallen" (to crack)|
Mother Puffin (the adult one, mentioned in Yoshi's Story)
- While the Japanese name of Huffin Puffins are based on species of ducks, the English name states them to be puffins. Additionally, they have been called chickens by Official Nintendo Magazine and Prima Games.
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 128.
- "SuperMarioDude64". Mario Party Advance in-game cast reel. YouTube. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics eGuide, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island Confidential Information Tab.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 7.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 15.
- 「ヨッシーストーリー 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's Story Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 5.
- Official UK Nintendo Magazine Issue 67, page 28. "HOMING CHICKEN"