The Mushroom Cup (transliterated as Kinoko Cup on one occasion) is a cup in the Super Mario franchise, most notably appearing as the first and easiest cup in the Mario Kart series (alongside the Shell Cup since Mario Kart DS), where it exclusively features new courses. It is represented by a Dash Mushroom. In Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the Mushroom Cup is one of four cups to be themed around a Mushroom, alongside the Golden Dash Cup, the Propeller Cup, and the Rock Cup.
List of Mario Kart courses
Completion rewards in the Mario Kart series
Winning the Mushroom Cup in the Mario Kart series can award the player with various bonuses, depending on the game. Additional cups unlocked are excluded from this list.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- 50cc Mushroom Cup: Green Fire
- 100cc Mushroom Cup: Rattle Buggy
- 150cc Mushroom Cup: Luigi's Mansion
- Mirror Mushroom Cup: Toadette Kart
Mario Kart DS
- All nitro cups (includes Mushroom Cup) on 50cc: Dry Bones
- All nitro cups (includes Mushroom Cup) on 100cc: Three karts for each playable character
- All nitro cups (includes Mushroom Cup) or all retro cups (excludes Mushroom Cup) on 150cc: Seven karts for each playable character
- All cups on 150cc: 150cc Mirror class
- All nitro cups (includes Mushroom Cup) or all retro cups (excludes Mushroom Cup) on 150cc Mirror: R.O.B.
- All cups on 150cc Mirror: All karts for each playable character
Mario Kart Wii
- Mushroom and Flower Cups: Star Cup
- 1 star rank or higher on all nitro cups (includes Mushroom Cup) on 50cc: Baby Daisy
- 1 star rank or higher on all nitro cups (includes Mushroom Cup) on 100cc: Sneakster
- 1 star rank or higher on all nitro cups (includes Mushroom Cup) on 150cc: Dry Bowser
- All cups on 150cc: 150cc Mirror class
- 1 star rank or higher on all cups on 150cc Mirror: Rosalina
Mario Kart 7
- All cups on a single cc class: Mii
- 150cc Mushroom Cup: Daisy
- All cups on 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc: 150cc Mirror class
Mario Kart 8
Most unlockable characters in Mario Kart 8 are unlocked at random upon winning Grand Prix cups (separate cups must be played to unlock characters), which includes the Mushroom Cup. Characters that can be unlocked include Rosalina, Metal Mario, Lakitu, Toadette, Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach, Iggy Koopa, Roy Koopa, Lemmy Koopa, Larry Koopa, Wendy O. Koopa, Ludwig von Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr., and Mii. Mii is unlocked upon the eighth Grand Prix cup victory, unless an amiibo is used to unlock Mii beforehand.
In addition, the Gold Standard body can be unlocked by getting a 1 star rank or higher on all non-DLC cups (including the Mushroom Cup) on any one engine class, and the 150cc Mirror class can be unlocked by winning all 150cc cups.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- 1 star rank or higher on all cups on 150cc Mirror: Gold Standard
- All cups on 200cc: Gold Mario
The Mushroom Cup also appears in Mario Power Tennis and Mario Superstar Baseball. In Super Mario Strikers, the Mushroom Cup has four teams and three rounds. When the player places in the top three, the Flower Cup and Konga Coliseum are unlocked. A similar cup is the Super Mushroom Cup. In Mario Sports Mix, the Mushroom Cup is the first cup to be played in the tournament.
The Mushroom Cup also makes an appearance in Mario Tennis Open as the first cup of the World Open. It is played on the Mushroom Valley court, and the CPU difficulty is the easiest in the World Open. The cup is the only one to be unlocked from the start, and its matches have one set each for the starting round and semifinals, and three sets for the finals.
The Mushroom Cup reappears as the first cup in the COM Tournament mode of Mario Tennis Aces, and it uses the lowest CPU difficulty of all three cups.
- Mario Kart 64 website: "The Mushroom Cup is made up of four introductory courses."
- Mario Kart Wii trading card: "Long-time Mario Kart fans may experience déjà vu when checking out the first two tracks of the Mushroom Cup. Luigi Circuit looks a lot like Luigi's tracks from other Mario Kart games and Moo Moo Meadows harkens back to Moo Moo Farm. But rest assured, the layouts are new."
Names in other languages
|French||Coupe Champignon||Mushroom Cup|
|Portuguese (NOA)||Copa Cogumelo||Mushroom Cup|
|Portuguese (NOE)||Taça Cogumelo||Mushroom Cup|
|Spanish||Copa Champiñón||Mushroom Cup|
- The Mushroom Cup has never had a snow or ice-themed course.
- The Mushroom Cup from Mario Kart 7 is one of three cups in the series to have all its courses return together in another Mario Kart game, as all of its tracks reappear in Mario Kart Tour. The other two cups are the Lightning Cup from Mario Kart: Super Circuit, which also has all of its courses return in Tour, and the Star Cup from Mario Kart Wii, which has all of its courses available in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as a result of the Booster Course Pass.
- Unlike the other examples, all the Mushroom Cup courses from 7 were present in Tour at its launch.
- In Mario Kart 7, the Mushroom Cup is the only nitro cup to not have a course split into three sections instead of laps: the Flower Cup has Wuhu Loop, the Star Cup has Maka Wuhu, and the Special Cup has Rainbow Road.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) issue 51, page 26.