Rainbow Road (Mario Kart: Super Circuit)
- This article is about the race course from Mario Kart: Super Circuit. For Rainbow Road as a whole and other versions of the track, see Rainbow Road.
|Appears in||Mario Kart: Super Circuit (2001)|
Rainbow Road is the fourth and last course of the Special Cup in Mario Kart: Super Circuit. Like the Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 64, the track is translucent, but it is now greatly simplified to fit the hardware limitations of the Game Boy Advance, being heavily based on the original Rainbow Road. Edges of the course are lined with jumping humps. Skilled racers can use Mushrooms to perform shortcuts. The track features falling stars that can make racers spin out and Thunder Clouds that can shrink them. Bowser's Castle and Peach's Castle from Paper Mario also appear in the background.
Rainbow Road is one of two tracks from Mario Kart: Super Circuit that has yet to return as a classic course in a later Mario Kart game, the other being Broken Pier; as a result, its theme is the only track theme in the game that has not received an arrangement in a later Mario Kart game.
The track begins in its only barricaded portion. Racers first make some turns where there are Item Boxes, but no rails or bouncing humps. Following this, there is a straight path with a very sharp turn and edges with a Thunder Cloud, and a longer straight path where some bouncy stars can spin around racers they come in contact with. There are many sharp turns and curves with more Thunder Clouds. Racers may also use the humps to cut off a large mount of the track when used in conjunction with each other. After another turn, the track offers two paths: on the left is a very narrow path lined with boost pads which can be used as a small shortcut, and on the right is a wider path with fewer boost pads, item boxes and some Thunder Clouds. The boost pads on both sides can be either a benefit or a hindrance as they can be used to perform shortcuts or may cause careless players to fall. Then, there is another sharp turn, with one last thunder cloud before finishing the lap.
Lakitu starting the race
Names in other languages
- The intro part of the music for this Rainbow Road is based on the music for Rainbow Road from Super Mario Kart.
- Additionally, this intro is skipped for the final lap version of the music. Rainbow Road is the only course in Mario Kart: Super Circuit with this distinction, as well as the first course in the Mario Kart series to have its final lap music altered beyond increased tempo or pitch.
- In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the music track "Rainbow Road Medley" includes a portion of this Rainbow Road's music, alongside the music for Mario Kart DS's Rainbow Road and Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road.
- From the iQue localization prototype.