Ring Shot is one of the four special games in Mario Tennis Open. It is very similar to Ring Shot from Mario Tennis. In the game, the player tries to hit the ball into rings, with the assistance of another character on the other side of the court. This awards Ring Points. When rings are at their smallest, they are worth five points. Their point values decrease by one as the rings grow, until they get their largest and are worth one point. Hitting the ball into multiple rings in one stroke earns the player combo points. The level is completed if the player acquires a certain amount of points in a certain amount of time (this depends on the difficulty level). The rings are initially vertical and close to the net, but in the third and challenge levels, the rings are higher up and sometimes placed horizontally or slanted towards the player. Baby Peach can be unlocked by completing the third level in this game. Additionally, a Princess Peach costume can be unlocked by obtaining 800 points in Ring Shot Challenge, and a Daisy one can be unlocked by collecting 700 points in the same level, but with another player.
This mode has several levels with varying goals:
- Novice Rings - The player must earn 200 Ring Points within one minute. Assisted by Yoshi.
- Amateur Rings - The player must earn 350 Ring Points within two minutes. Assisted by Peach.
- Pro Rings - The player must earn 500 ring points within three minutes. Assisted by Luigi. Completion unlocks Baby Peach.
- Ring Shot Challenge - The player must earn as many ring points as possible within three minutes. Assisted by Donkey Kong.
Names in other languages
|French||Défi anneaux||Ring Challenge|
|Italian||Tiro all'Anello||Ring Shot|
|Spanish||Tiro al anillo||Ring Shot|
- This is the only special game that can be done in any court, except Galaxy Arena, for all levels.
- If the player uses the assisting characters for each respective level, Yoshi will be replaced by Diddy Kong, Peach will be replaced by Daisy, Luigi will be replaced by Mario, and Donkey Kong will be replaced by Bowser.
|Mario Tennis Open|
|Playable characters||Default||Mario • Luigi • Princess Peach • Yoshi • Princess Daisy • Boo • Bowser Jr. • Diddy Kong • Donkey Kong • Waluigi • Wario • Bowser|
|Unlockable||Luma • Baby Mario • Baby Peach • Dry Bowser|
|Obtained from QR code||Red Yoshi • Blue Yoshi • Light Blue Yoshi • Yellow Yoshi • Pink Yoshi • Black Yoshi • White Yoshi • Metal Mario|
|Non-playable characters||Toad • Lakitu • Toads • Goomba • Mechakoopa • Penguin • Shy Guy • Koopa Troopa • Piranha Plant • Inky Piranha Plant • Buzzy Beetle • Koopa Paratroopa|
|Courts||Mario Stadium • Mushroom Valley • Wario Dunes • DK Jungle • Bowser's Castle • Penguin Iceberg • Peach's Palace • Galaxy Arena|
|Cups||Mushroom Cup • Flower Cup • Banana Cup • Champions Cup • 1-Up Mushroom Cup • Ice Flower Cup • Shell Cup • Final Cup|
|Special Games||Ring Shot • Super Mario Tennis • Galaxy Rally • Ink Showdown|