Render of the Chill Bully in Super Mario 64 DS
|First appearance||Super Mario 64 (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
|Variant of||Big Bully|
The Chill Bully, also known generically as the Bully or Big Bully, is a type of Big Bully found in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS. He has a light-blue body with a yellow spike on the top of his head, and he wears light-green shoes. He appears in Snowman's Land, on top of an ice platform. Surrounding the platform is a freezing pond, and touching it has similar effects to touching lava.
In Chill with the Bully, the second mission of Snowman's Land, the objective is for Mario to defeat the Chill Bully. To do this, Mario must hit him backward until he falls off into the cold water. Like regular Bullies, the Chill Bully also tries to ram Mario off the platform. When the Chill Bully has been defeated, a Power Star is released above the icy platform for Mario to collect.
In Super Mario 64 DS, unlike other Bullies, the Chill Bully can be defeated by having Yoshi obtain a Power Flower and use his fire breath to push him off the platform. In this version, the Chill Bully's design was updated to have a fully 3D body with a chipped appearance, rather than the smooth, marble-like flat texture it had before. An even bigger, mustachioed Chill Bully, named Chief Chilly, is introduced as the boss guarding Wario.
In Mario Golf, "Chill Bully" sometimes appears on the scorecard.
Names in other languages
|Same as Bully|
|Italian||Bronco di ghiaccio||Ice Bully|
|Spanish (NOE)||Bronco de Hielo||Ice Bully|
- A smaller counterpart of the Chill Bully exists in Super Mario 64's code, but it was not used in the final game. According to source assets, it was to be named ice_otos (or ice_otosu), while Chilly Bully was labeled as big_ice_otosu.
- M. Arakawa. Super Mario 64 Player's Guide. Pages 89, 90, 92 (used interchangeably with "Bully")
- English Super Mario 64 entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 12, 2022 23:38:23 UTC via archive.today.
- Chill with the Bully
- (February 24, 1998). Bully - (Course 10). Nintendo: Super Mario 64 Strategy (Internet Archive: Wayback Machine). Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- Knight, Michael. Nintendo DS Pocket Guide. Page 301, 304.
- Knight, Michael. Nintendo DS Pocket Guide. Page 301.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario 64 section, page 85.