Artwork of the Mother Penguin (right) with Tuxie in Super Mario 64
|First appearance||Super Mario 64 (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020)|
- “Egad! My baby!! Have you seen my baby??? She's the most precious baby in the whole world. (They say she has my beak...) I just can't remember where I left her. Let's see... I stopped for herring and ice cubes, then I... oohh! I just don't know!”
- —Mother Penguin, Super Mario 64
The Mother Penguin is a penguin who appears on Cool, Cool Mountain in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS. She has lost her daughter, Tuxie, so Mario, Luigi, or Wario goes to look for her. Once Tuxie is returned, the Mother Penguin rewards the player character with a Power Star, completing the mission Li'l Penguin Lost.
If the player character brings the Mother Penguin another baby penguin, she does not accept it. She insists that this baby penguin is not her daughter and that they look nothing alike.
If Tuxie is taken back after being delivered to the Mother Penguin, she follows the player character with a cross expression on her face until he drops Tuxie again. However, she does not seem to react in any way if the player character gets far enough away or drops Tuxie off the edge. The Mother Penguin also does not follow the player past the edge of the pond she is in.
|Super Mario 64 DS||data/enemy/penguin/penguin.bmd||PENGUIN_MOTHER||Penguin Mother|
Names in other languages
|Parent and Child Penguins|
|French||Maman Pingouin||Mother Razorbill (Pingouin means Razorbill and Manchot means Penguin)|
|German||Mama Pinginola||Mother Pinginola|
|Italian||Madre Pinguotta||Mother Penguin|
- M. Arakawa. Super Mario 64 Player's Guide. Page 38 (map).
- (June 10, 1998). Course 4 - Star 2: Li'l Penguin Lost. Nintendo: Super Mario 64 Strategy (Internet Archive: Wayback Machine). Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- Kazuki, Motoyama. KC Deluxe vol. 36 - Super Mario 64 part 1. Page 6.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 93