The Star Spirits from Paper Mario as they appear in Mario Party 5
|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)|
|Latest appearance||Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (2018)|
Stars are a race of celestial beings who have played major roles throughout the Mario franchise.
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Sentient stars first appear in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, both as a background element in the Space Zone map, and an obstacle in the star stage and Secret Course 2. In those levels, they have angry expressions and act similarly to spikes, damaging Mario when touched. Some stars also move horizontally and vertically, forcing the player to maneuver around them safely.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
In Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Geno is a starlike being from Star Road who was sent by a "higher authority" to aid the Mushroom Kingdom in its hour of need against the Smithy Gang. He decided to join Mario on his quest to save the kingdom when he realized he could not do it alone. Although Geno is a type of star being, it is unknown if he is directly related to the star species.
In Paper Mario, Stars are known to live in a city above Shooting Star Summit, called Star Haven where they are led by the Star Spirits. Stars begin their lives as Star Kids in Starborn Valley under the care of Merle and some Ninjis. Twink, a notable Star Kid, aids Princess Peach while she is kidnapped by Bowser.
- "He's a Star Kid who isn't allowed to go up to the sky. It doesn't seem to have affected his spirits, though. It's no use worrying about these little guys now, Mario. We'll help 'em soon!"
- "It's one of the Star Kids. Hey, maybe if we make friends with the Star Kids now, they'll grant us tons of wishes later!"
- "It's a Star Kid--just a baby. Star Kids are so full of life, aren't they? I always wanted a younger brother, you know. It would be fun to get into hijinks with a little bro."
- "It's a Star Kid. She's so cute! She reminds me of Goombaria."
- "It's a Star Kid. He wants a younger brother. Hey, so do I! I hope he becomes a great star one day."
- "This Star Kid thinks he's made himself invisible. He wants to go up to the sky. OK, but, it's hard to imagine this little prankster granting anyone's wishes..."
- "He's a Star Haven resident. He doesn't look well. Doesn't he know that we rescued all the Star Spirits?"
- "He's a Star Haven resident. He looks like he doesn't have a care, even though Bowser still has the Star Rod. He probably thinks he can't help. Well, to tell the truth, he probably can't, but shouldn't he at least show a little bit of concern?"
- "It's a Star Haven resident. It's sad that these wish-granters aren't more energetic. Only the Star Spirits are lively."
- "It's a Star Haven resident. These guys believe that everything will be fine since the Star Spirits have returned. There's still work to be done! I mean, I'm sure it seems great to have the Star Spirits back, but the fight's not over!"
- "He's running an inn. It's just like a Toad House. I never thought we'd find one in Star Haven. This is the first time I've seen a Toad House with no Toad."
- "It's a Star Haven resident. He's filled with hope, now that the Star Spirits are back. It must be tough to wish on a Star when you happen to be a Star yourself."
- "This Star sells things in this shop. He also checks and buys items. There must be some extremely rare items here. Did you find anything good, Mario?"
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story / Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey
|It has been suggested that this article be merged with Star Spirits. (discuss)|
In Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, a species of Star known as Star Sprites appear. Unlike regular stars, Star Sprites have spherical yellow bodies with small feet and have stars perched on their heads. Only four members of this species are shown, the first being Starlow, who appears in the present time-line of the game, and the other three are elderly Star Sprites, who were shown in a flashback and were responsible for sealing away the evil Dark Star.
- ♡♪!? (Geno) - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Dark Star - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
- The Star Spirits - Paper Mario
- Lumas - Super Mario Galaxy
- Twink - Paper Mario
- Millennium Star - Mario Party 3
- Starlow - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
- Ztar - Mario Party 6
- In the European Spanish version of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Peach names the Star Sprites as "espíritus de la Estrella Cobalto" (Cobalt Star spirits), the one from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.
- In all European translations but the English and Spanish ones, the Star Sprites are called "Star Spirits," but it is not clear if they are related to Paper Mario's Star Spirits. Their Japanese name is written as 「スターの精」 Sutā no Sei compared to the Star Spirits' 「星の精」 Hoshi no Sei, both of which translate into "Star Spirits" or "Star Sprites". Additionally, in the American English version of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Starlow introduces herself as a representative of the "star spirits" rather than the Star Sprites.