Goal Stars, also known as Gold Stars, Goalpost Stars, Bonus Stars, or simply Stars, are special points found in Super Mario World and its reissue, Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2. They are earned by touching the moving tape on a Giant Gate. The higher Mario or Luigi touches it, the more Goal Stars he gets (from 1–30, then 40, then 50 at the top). Getting all 50 of a Giant Gate's Goal Stars gives Mario or Luigi three 1-Ups. Goal Stars are saved from level to level, and earning 100 of them lets Mario or Luigi go to the bonus game, where he can earn 1-Up Mushrooms.
If Mario or Luigi does not touch the tape, he will get only a coin from the tape.
Goal Stars also appear in Super Mario World-themed levels in the Super Mario Maker games; however, they appear only for visual effect and are not actually counted. For that reason, the "50" reward is replaced with a "1UP" reward.
Super Mario World
- Wii U Virtual Console manual bio: "Collect 100 Gold Stars to unlock the bonus stage."
Names in other languages
|Portuguese||Estrela de Ouro||Gold Star|
|Spanish||Estrella Bonus||Bonus star|
- Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 instruction booklet, pages 17 and 20.
- Super Mario World English instruction booklet, page 8.
- M. Arakawa. Nintendo Mario Mania Player's Guide. Page 48.
- Message Block in Yoshi's Island 4
- Super Mario World Italian manual; pag. 8
- Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World EU manual; pagg. 108-109
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pagg. 60, 62