List of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey glitches
This is a list of glitches in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey. For a list of glitches related to the original, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, see List of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story glitches.
Note: All names are conjectural unless otherwise specified.
Blow up Bomb Early
In the tunnel, if the player correctly positions Bowser, his fire can go through the wall and blow up a bomb that creates a shortcut that the player is supposed to reach later on. If the player decides to try and go back to the area before the shortcut, they will get stuck because the wall has not been blown up yet. Bowser will eventually be teleported to the start of the Tunnel.
In the tunnel at the spot where bombs can be taken out of a crane and used to blow up walls, if the player punches a bomb all the way to the left, then punches at it from a top left angle, it will push the player in a spot above the bomb. The player can then punch the bomb again all the way down, then punch it again to the left and then down again, where the bomb will go through the wall. It is impossible for the player to reach the bomb after this.
Lumbar Nook Warp
In the Lumbar Nook before Bowser learns Spike Ball, there is a small area where Mario and Luigi can dig into a layer of bone. When the player jumps out, the game will briefly freeze, and set Mario and Luigi to the start of the Lumbar Nook.[dead link]
Mario Bowser Path Warp
There is a secret area at the front of Bowser's Castle on Bowser Path that only a small Mario can reach. In it, if the player jumps to an empty space in between the ground and a higher up area, Mario can get stuck. The game will quickly teleport both Mario and Luigi to the very start of Bowser Path. Mario will also be back at normal size again.
Peach's Castle Warp
In the bedroom area of Peach's Castle, if Bowser moves around on the left side of the bed, he can eventually be placed out of bounds. Afterwards, the game teleports Bowser to the very beginning of Peach's Castle.
Peach's Castle Teleport Skip
In the northern part of Peach's Castle, if Bowser uses Spike Ball and moves into a pipe near a loading zone, the game will freeze and place Bowser in the front room of Peach's Castle.
Peach's Castle Garden Warp
In the bottom right area of Peach's Castle Garden, if the player moves Mario and Luigi into the tower around the left side of the loading zone, the game will freeze and place Mario and Luigi at the start of Peach's Castle.
Toad Town Walk Through Wall Glitch
Bowser's Memory ML Crash
While fighting Bowser's Memory ML, it is possible to use a Bros attack like the Green Shell to defeat Memory L while Memory M is knocked out. This causes the normal death animation to play for the former, and then a game crash instantly afterwards. Presumably this is because the animation that is meant to play when both memories are defeated requires both to be on screen, and the death animation will not be able to play if one of them is not present.
If the player burns a Sneed and it goes into the ground to create a Flifit, the Flifit will freeze in place, and the game will softlock with the sound effect that plays during the process of the Sneed turning into a Flifit repeatedly playing.
Sniffle Thwomp Freeze
Sometimes, when the player fights one of the two Sniffle Thwomps located in the second area with the Bob-omb dispensers in Bowser's Castle, there is an unlikely chance that whether the player wins the battle or runs from it, the game will freeze with no will to suspend the software, forcing the player to turn the system off. The glitch will only occur if Bowser is battling it.
The player can fix this by going to the Nintendo eShop and doing a Repair Software to function normally afterwards or the player can avoid the Sniffle Thwomps to prevent freezing.
Enemy contact softlock
In Pump Works if there is water filled in Bowser's body, when Mario swings his hammer at the exact frame the enemy touches him, the game softlocks which forces the player to close the game.[dead link]
Incorrect hammer animation
When Mario uses his hammer to hit a button to begin the Shroob boss fight, Mario's hammer will hit the ground instead of the wall with the button. The button still counts as being hit though, allowing the player to still be able to fight the Shroobs.
In the room where there are Twisters scattered in some spots of the room, if the player opens the Star Menu and exits, the Twister is invisible but still functions correctly when Balloon Mario interacts with it. The player can fix this by entering any area, although sometimes a Twister can be invisible.
When the player switches from Bowser to Mario and Luigi, there is a brief chance where if they press , the jumping sound effect will play on the menu for Bowser's body, even though the player cannot jump on the menu.
No music in Dimble Wood
When the player finishes the Giga Carrot minigame, and chooses to save after talking to Wiggler, switching to Mario and Luigi and then to Bowser will cause no music to play.
The player can fix this by entering any area.
Bowser jump glitch
Using Bowser and his Body Slam move, it is possible to cause Bowser to access areas that only Mario and Luigi can. To do this, the player will need to leave Bowser on a low enough platform and will also need an enemy nearby. Use Body Slam, and try to get Bowser to be at the highest point of his jump when the enemy touches him. After fleeing or winning the battle, Bowser will be able to move and pressing a direction will make Bowser go to the indicated location. This makes it possible for Bowser to activate Mario & Luigi blocks. Accessing certain back parts that are not normally accessible to Bowser will crash the game.
Using the Spin Jump on stairs like the ones in Toad Town, the brothers will go further back if the player did not move them in a direction. This will stop when Mario and Luigi crash into a wall. This can be used to achieve the "fast forward storage" glitch in Blubble Lake.
Fast forward storage in Blubble Lake
Using the stairs glitch, Mario and Luigi can save the glitch from going backwards. In Blubble Lake, there is a place where the glitch can be used effectively. Going to the area where to the right, there is a path to a Bowser pipe, and below there is a path that leads to Cavi Cape, which at the same time leads to the entrance to Plack Beach. In the same place, there is a sign that is attached to an area transition. If the brothers read it facing northwest, Mario and Luigi will change areas, but will continue having the ability to press R to run faster.
Bowser Jr.'s Journey glitches
Glitches that only appear in the Bowser Jr.'s Journey mode of the game.
Enemy Failed Counterattack Glitch
In one mission, when a Para-Biddybud tries to counterattack the players minions, sometimes they will dodge the minions attack, but never actually counterattack. This forces the player to have to quit the mission to reset.
The game may crash randomly in the formation menu.
Random Game Crash
As of patches, these glitches are impossible to perform. Any save files affected by certain glitches are fixed to allow progress.
Luigi Freak Out in Dimble Wood (Patched in Version 1.1)
If the player goes back through Dimble Wood once Mario is separated from Luigi, they eventually reach the room with the Wiggler. In this room, once Luigi touches the wall near the Wiggler, he starts freaking out and warping back and forth without any input from the player.
Luigi Stuck in Dimble Wood (Patched in Version 1.1)
In the same room, if the player climbs the ledge to the left, Luigi's behavior becomes more and more erratic. If they then leave the area via the loading zone there, they then get stuck in an infinite loop as Luigi warps between screens non stop. Saving here bricks the save file, forcing the player to delete the save file and start a brand new one to continue.
No DS Music (Version 1.1 only)
When the player goes to Music on the pause screen, and tries to listen to music from the original game, nothing will play. Music from the remake also will not work until the player exits and returns to the Music menu.
- Nintendo Pops. (January 17, 2019). M&L Bowser's Inside Story 3ds - Tunnel Skip/Flame Through Walls Glitch YouTube. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Team Extreme Team. (October 6, 2019). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey - Bomb Gone Glitch YouTube. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- Small Mario Findings
- RY/VRA B8master. (January 20, 2019). An odd glitch(?) I found in Bowsers Inside Story 3D YouTube.
- Team Extreme Team. (October 6, 2019). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey - Mario Bowser Path Warp Glitch YouTube.
- NintegaGamer. (January 20, 2019). Mario&Luigi Bowser's Inside Story DX Wall clip glitch YouTube. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Joseph Hsu. (January 30, 2019). Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story (3DS) Glitch - Peach's Castle Bowser Warp Glitch Found! YouTube. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Team Extreme Team. (October 6, 2019). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey - Peach’s Castle Garden Warp Glitch YouTube. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- Akemi Dareki. (January 27, 2019). Mario and Luigi: Bower's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey Odd Glitch YouTube. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Snoion. (June 12, 2019). Bowser's Inside Story DX - Memory M+L Crash YouTube. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
- fawfulthegreat64. (January 18, 2019). (LIVE) Bowser's Inside Story DX (05) YouTube. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Team Extreme Team. (February 12, 2019). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey - Jumping Sound Effect on Menu Glitch YouTube. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- Migu (March 3, 2019). BIS Remake: Fast forward storage in Blubble Lake Youtube. Retrieved November 26, 2023.
- Team Extreme Team. (February 12, 2019). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey - Enemy Failed Counterattack Glitch YouTube. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- fawfulthegreat64. (February 9, 2019). (LIVE) Bowser Jr.'s Journey (01) YouTube. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- How to Update Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr’s Journey. Nintendo. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- CM30. (January 17, 2019). A Major Game Breaking Bug Has Been Found in Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr’s Journey. Gaming Reinvented. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- DarkMarioGaming. (January 17, 2019). Mario and Luigi bowser's inside story (3ds) Glitch. YouTube. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- FrankCopper. (January 17, 2019). Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story Major Bug/Softlock. Reddit. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- AAWW1010. (February 10, 2019). Mario and Luigi inside bowser story + bowser jr. journey : music glitch YouTube. Retrieved February 11, 2019.