Bolts (also known as plugs or rivets) are objects that Mario must destroy on level 100m in Donkey Kong. There are eight (six in the Game Boy version) orange bolts that are worth 100 points each. Mario must simply walk or jump across a bolt to remove it. After all of the bolts are gone, the platforms supporting Donkey Kong collapse, allowing Mario to rescue Pauline. Removing a bolt also creates a gap that Fires cannot cross. If a bolt is removed while a Fire is on top of it, the Fire becomes stuck over the gap. This allows Mario to safely jump over the Fire repeatedly to gain points.
Bolts reappear in Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis. On level B1 of DK's Hideout, Mini Marios have to remove bolts around the stage to defeat Donkey Kong in a manner similar to 100m. They do so by walking over, jumping across, or standing on top of a bolt, which then melts away and disappears.
Names in other languages
- Instruction manual for NES port, page 5.
- "Walk or jump over the bolt to remove it!" — In-game instructions, NES Remix
- The Donkey Kong 64 Player's Guide, page 127.
- Donkey Kong 64 Prima's Official Strategy Guide, page 67.
- Instruction manuals for Intellivision, ColecoVision, Coleco Tabletop, Atari 2600, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64 (Atarisoft), MS-DOS, Apple II, Commodore VIC-20, TI-99/4A, Coleco Adam, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64 (Ocean), MSX, ZX Spectrum, and Atari 7800 ports.
- Instruction manual for Famicom port.
- NES Remix, Donkey Kong 1-4: "Passa sopra il bullone per rimuoverlo!"
- Arcade Archives Donkey Kong, in-game manual
- Donkey Kong Atari manual, pag. 2