|Super Mario World episode|
|Airdate||September 14, 1991 (English) |
September 11, 1992 (French)
|Featured song||"Kootie Pie Rap"|
|Captain N episode||"Misadventures In Robin Hood Woods"|
|List of episodes >>|
"Fire Sale" is the first episode of the Super Mario World animated series.
While admiring her reflection in the ice of her recently gained Ice Palace, Kootie Pie Koopa laments that the place is perfect, except for one thing: it's always freezing. Throwing a temper-tantrum, Kootie Pie proceeds to beat her Koopa Troopa henchman so badly that the Koopa Troopa is sent careening out of his shell and into a nearby wall. Pulling her minion out of the wall, Kootie Pie comes-up with a plan: go to Dome City and steal "Mama Fireplant", who can warm up the Ice Palace.
At Dome City, Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, Yoshi, and several Cave People are beginning to set-up a barbecue; unfortunately, Yoshi eats up almost all the food. Managing to stop Yoshi from eating everything, Luigi decides to send Yoshi to get some fireballs from Mama Fireplant, while Mario, Luigi, and Princess Toadstool get more food. A nervous Yoshi tries to refuse to go to Mama Fireplant, being afraid of crossing a river to her dome-house; eventually, though, he does set off.
While Yoshi is going to her house, Mama Fireplant notices that something is coming-up the grate in her floor. Suddenly, Kootie Pie and her Koopa Troopa accomplice pull themselves out of the grate. Announcing her plans to kidnap Mama Fireplant, Kootie Pie is subsequently blasted with several fireballs launched by Mama Fireplant. Managing to dodge several more fireballs launched by Mama Fireplant, Kootie Pie proceeds to plug-up Mama Fireplant's mouth with her Koopa Troopa henchman's shell. With Mama Fireplant defenseless, Kootie Pie and the Koopa Troopa begin pushing Mama Fireplant towards the grate-hole in the floor.
Outside Mama Fireplant's dome-house, a nervous Yoshi is preparing to cross the bridge to Mama Fireplant's residence. As Yoshi makes his first few small steps, Mama Fireplant manages to spit the Koopa Troopa's shell out of her mouth and begins screaming for help. Hearing Mama Fireplant's cries, Yoshi rushes to Mama Fireplant's dome-house, but ends up tripping and falling into the river. Ignoring the water, Yoshi rushes to Mama Fireplant's dome-house, only to find it empty.
Returning to Mama Fireplant's dome-house with Mario, Luigi, and Princess Toadstool, Yoshi aids the three in looking for clues as to where Mama Fireplant went. After some looking, Mario notices that there is a Warp Tube under the grate in the floor. Lifting the grate cover up, Mario accidentally stumbles into Luigi, who steps backwards on a cube of ice and begins to slide around the floor.
Eventually, Luigi stops sliding around and points out the ice to Mario, who believes the ice came from Ice Land, which is where Mama Fireplant must have been taken. Leaping into the Warp Tube, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Princess Toadstool come out the other end and begin to fall through the sky.
Luckily, Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Yoshi land on a moving platform. Unfortunately, the platform is sent flying through the air after reaching the end of its bar. Free-falling once again, Mario, Yoshi, and Princess Toadstool safely land on another, unmoving platform; Luigi is not as fortunate, though; missing the platform, he can only feebly grasp the end of it.
As Mario tries to pull his brother up onto the platform, a swarm of Flying Goombas appears. Diving down at Mario, the Flying Goombas miss him, although this attack manages to distract Mario so that he lets go of Luigi's arm, dropping him to the ground below. As the group of Flying Goombas swing around for another attack, Mario jumps up onto several nearby platforms and, leaping through the air, manages to beat up the Flying Goombas. Unfortunately, Mario is then sent plummeting through the air.
Grabbing Mario, Princess Toadstool is dragged off the platform, along with Yoshi. Tumbling downward, Mario, Yoshi, and Princess Toadstool fall through a Warp Tube, which deposits them into Kootie Pie's rapidly melting Ice Palace. Finding Luigi in a pile of slush, Mario realizes that all this slush can mean only one thing: Ice Land is melting due to the heat exhumed by Mama Fireplant.
In Kootie Pie's throne room, the spoiled Koopaling is enjoying the warmth given off by Mama Fireplant's fireballs. Pleading with Kootie Pie to return her to Dome City, Mama Fireplant says without her, the Cave People will freeze. Kootie Pie, seeing an opportunity to make a fortune, decides to simply sell Mama Fireplant's fireballs to the Cave People at an outrageous price (hence the episode's title).
As Kootie Pie begins to gloat, Mama Fireplant begins to shoot a large amount of fireballs, causing any nearby ice to melt and begin to flood the place. As the water level begins to rise, Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Yoshi burst into the throne room. As Mario charges at Kootie Pie, he accidentally steps on a porcupinefish and becomes paralyzed. Rushing to Mario, Luigi and Princess Toadstool accidentally step on some porcupinefish as well.
Suddenly, Kootie Pie begins to charge towards Yoshi, only to step on a porcupinefish herself. As the Ice Palace begins to collapse, Yoshi faces his fear of water and, rushing through a small river, he manages to reach Mama Fireplant. Using Mama Fireplant's pot as a sled, Yoshi manages to slide out of the Ice Palace, grabbing Mario, Luigi, and Princess Toadstool as he goes. Having escaped Kootie Pie's Ice Palace, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Princess Toadstool, and Mama Fireplant return to Dome City, where they begin their barbecue with the Cave People.
Meanwhile, back at Ice Palace, Kootie Pie, having become frozen in a block of ice, can only scream in frustration as her now sunglasses-wearing Koopa Troopa minion relaxes in a nearby hammock, drinking a glass of soda and reading a Crime magazine with King Koopa on the cover.
- Paulina Gillis — Kootie Pie Koopa
- Catherine Gallant — Mama Fireplant
- Andrew Sabiston — Yoshi
- Walker Boone — Mario
- Tony Rosato — Luigi
- Tracey Moore — Princess Toadstool
- Stuart Stone — Koopa Troopa
- Princess Toadstool
- Kootie Pie Koopa
- King Bowser Koopa (only on magazine)
- Koopa Troopa
- Mama Fireplant
- Cave People
Animation and continuity errors
- When Kootie Pie says she wants Mama Fireplant, her left foot overlaps on the Koopa Troopa.
- Mario's cap has a white "M" and no white background when he and Luigi notice Yoshi eating the barbecue.
- In the same scene, Luigi's legs are missing.
- When Luigi says that Yoshi can go to Mama Fireplant to get some fireballs for the barbecue, his mouth detaches from his face for a frame.
- When Princess Toadstool says that Yoshi can take the bridge, she passes through a table.
- In the same scene, Yoshi overlaps on the table.
- In several scenes, Yoshi's face is miscolored.
- When Kootie Pie and the Koopa Troopa are opening the manhole, the latter's shell is light-green.
- In the same scene, it passes through the ground.
- When Kootie Pie goes to pick up the Shell, its underside is the same color as its rim.
- In a couple of scenes when Kootie Pie and the Koopa Troopa are moving Mama Fireplant, Mama Fireplant's lips are colored brown instead of white.
- When Yoshi asks himself if he has to cross the bridge, his eyes are smaller than normal.
- When Yoshi is holding onto the bridge, part of its sides turns transparent.
- When the Koopa Troopa slides the manhole back into place, part of it turns transparent.
- Shortly after, when Yoshi wonders where Mama Fireplant is, he can be seen to be smiling.
- In several scenes, Mario and Luigi have four fingers on each hand instead of five.
- Several times throughout the episode, characters will move their mouths without any dialogue being present.
- When Luigi is about to slide on the ice, the symbol on his cap has its colors reversed.
- When Luigi crashes into his friends, the stripes on his and Mario's gloves are the same color as their shirts.
- In a couple of scenes, Mario's gloves are the same color as his skin while the stripes on them are the same color as his shirt.
- When Luigi mentions the last time he saw ice, he has a green "M" on his cap instead of a black "L".
- When Princess Toadstool says that she and her friends have to rescue Mama Fireplant, her nose is briefly missing.
- When Mario throws Luigi into the Warp Pipe, the ice underneath the grate is missing, making it appear as if the grate is floating in midair.
- When Princess Toadstool jumps into the Warp Pipe, she speaks but her mouth does not move.
- In one scene, the spikes on Yoshi's back are missing.
- When the Princess notices the Flying Goombas, her lips are missing.
- When Mario and his friends are falling into Ice Land, the hand Princess Toadstool holds Mario with switches a couple times.
- When Mario dives in the slush to save Luigi, Princess Toadstool's eyes are black instead of blue.
- When Mario hugs Luigi, his hair is black instead of brown.
- When Mario walks to Kootie Pie, his mouth moves despite no words coming out his mouth.
- When Kootie Pie steps on a porcupinefish, her bracelet turns the same color as her body.
- When Mama Fireplant picks up Mario, the Porcupinefish's sclerae are the same color as its body.
- After Mama Fireplant picks up Princess Toadstool, one of her leaves is colored blue instead of green.
- Just before Yoshi, Mama Fireplant and the others leave Kootie Pie's cave, Yoshi does not step on a porcupinefish but appears frozen by one.
- In the same scene, Mario is to the left of Mama Fireplant while Luigi is to the right, despite the positions being reversed in previous scenes.
- When Mama Fireplant says it is great to be back, Mario's right arm overlaps on a cave person.
- When Mama Fireplant says that the hardest thing in Dome City is Yoshi, part her hair turns red like her head.
Names in other languages
|French||Catastrophe écologique||Ecological disaster|
|German||Der Eispalast||The Ice Palace|
|Hungarian||Tűz és Jég||Fire and Ice|
|Italian||Ghiaccio bollente||Hot ice|
|Portuguese||Venda de Fogo||Fire Sale|
|Romanian||Foc de vânzare||Fire for sale|
|Spanish (NOA)||Venta de fuego||Fire sale|
|Spanish (NOE)||La venta de fuego||The fire sale|
- Despite "Fire Sale" being the first episode aired of Super Mario World, the bulk of the episode takes place in Ice Land.
- When Kootie Pie mentions having a fire sale, she looks at the camera. This is a fourth wall break, as she mentions the name of the episode.
- This is the only episode of Super Mario World in which Kootie Pie has a speaking role.
- This is also the only episode of Super Mario World to feature a Koopa Troopa.
- The scene where Mario defeats the Flying Goombas is shown in the Italian opening to The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3.
- This version of Ice Land has more in common with the frosty underground levels of Super Mario World, as it is depicted as an icy cavern.
- While Yoshi can go into aquatic levels in Super Mario World, he is afraid of water in this episode.
- May 20, 2015. "Fire Sale", dubbed in Romanian by KidsCo. Odnoklassniki (OK.ru). Retrieved January 4, 2016.