|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)|
A Battle Beetle is a flying beetle (identified as a Japanese rhinoceros beetle in the Japanese version and an Atlas beetle in the English version) in the Tree Zone level The Exit and the Macro Zone level In the Syrup Sea found in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins.
Battle Beetles simply walk forward until they reach a ledge. When they do, they fly straight up, then slowly hover down at an angle towards Mario. A Battle Beetle can be defeated with a jump on the head or with a fireball. Battle Beetles look much like Hercules beetles, but are roughly Mario's size.
A Battle Beetle also appears in volume 7 of Super Mario-kun, where Mario gets robbed by it and, while engaging a battle with it, the Battle Beetle hits a branch from which a Heavy Zed falls, squashing and defeating it. In volume 9, another Battle Beetle appears and is defeated by Bunny Mario.
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
- Instruction booklet bio: This is an Atlas beetle that stomps around as it comes after Mario.
Tribe: Creep clan
Disposition: Split personality
Game appearances: Land 2
The two-faced rhinoceros beetle
When they are walking leisurely on the leaves, they have a gentle face, but when they run out of places to walk, they suddenly turn scary and jump out to attack. Try to step on them before they jump out.
Names in other languages
|A corrupted form of「ヘラクレス」(Herakuresu, Heracles), in reference to the Hercules beetle|
|Italian||Coleottero da guerra||War(rior) Beetle|
|Spanish||Ciervo Volante||Flying Stag|
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins English instruction booklet, page 13.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6-tsu no Kinka Japanese instruction booklet, page 16.
- Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 201.
- Kazuki, Motoyama. KC Mario Vol. 18: Super Mario Land 2 Part 1. Page 6.
- Super Mario-kun volume 7, page 40, and volume 9, page 12.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 76