|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)|
A Kyororo (generically referred to by Prima Games as one-eyed ghosts) is a one-eyed enemy from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins that appears in Pumpkin Zone Level 2 and usually wait in open spaces, repeatedly looking back and forth. If one spots Mario, they will charge at him full speed. Kyororo can be defeated simply by jumping on their heads or shooting a fireball at them, but jumping on them can be difficult due to their speed.
The Kyororo, along with many other enemies in the Pumpkin Zone, are based on monsters from Japanese folklore. The Kyororo comes from hitotsume-kozō (one-eyed boys), troublesome one-eyed boys with large tongues that are said to run around frightening people.
Profiles and statistics
Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten
Tribe: Ghost clan
Disposition: Hasty person
Game appearances: Land 2
One-eyed monster with a wandering gaze
Kyororo looks for Mario with his big single eye. He may be short-sighted for the size of his eye ball, but he doesn't move until he gets close to Mario. But once he spots Mario, he makes a mad dash for him, so be careful.
Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros.
Bio: あたりをキョロキョロ見回していて、マリオを見つけると走り出す。 (He scurries around, and when he sees Mario, he runs.)
Names in other languages
|From「キョロキョロ」(kyorokyoro, onomatopoeia for glancing repeatedly) or possibly「きょろり」(kyorori, eyes wide open)|
- ^ English Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 13, 2022, 13:51:45 UTC via archive.today.)
- ^ Campbell, Stuart. Game Boy Game Secrets, 1999 Edition Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 94. "Head to the watery area beneath the one-eyed ghosts."
- ^ Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 62.
- ^ Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario Land 2 section, page 75.
- ^ 「任天堂公式ガイドブック スーパーマリオランド２ ６つの金貨」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins), page 14.
- ^ Kazuki, Motoyama. KC Mario Vol. 18: Super Mario Land 2 Part 1. Page 7.
- ^ Kazuki, Motoyama. KC Deluxe vol. 19 - Super Mario Land 2: 6-tsu no Kinka 1. Page 4.
- ^ Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 75