- This article is about the enemies from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. For the various sharks seen in the Mario franchise, see Category:Sharks. For the enemies from Mario's Time Machine, see Shark (Mario's Time Machine).
Artwork of a shark
|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)|
Sharks are enemies found in the first and second Turtle Zone levels in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Normally, they swim slowly, but when Mario gets close to them, they start swimming faster, charging at him. Since they are underwater enemies, Mario cannot stomp on them, and unlike many other enemies fireballs do not affect them. The only way to defeat them is with a Star, or, in rare cases, a Green Shell from the surface. They wear boxing gloves, but they don't seem to use them against Mario.
In volume 9 of the Super Mario-kun, Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi encounter a shark during their boat trip. The shark attacks them, but Mario throws Yoshi to the shark to defeat it, although Yoshi gets injured.
Profiles and statistics
Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten
Tribe: Aqua clan
Game appearances: Land 2
Fire doesn't work on these awesome guys.
A shark monster wearing boxing gloves. It will suddenly dash out and attack you. Fire is ineffective, so you will have a hard time in the water. It moves only horizontally, so you will have to change your position.
Kellogg's trading card
Names in other languages
|Joe; a pun on「矢吹丈」(Jō Yabuki), the boxer protagonist of the manga「あしたのジョー 」(Ashita no Jō, Ashita no Joe), and「ジョーズ」(Jōzu, Jaws)|
- ^ "Sharks cannot be stopped. Swim around them . . . carefully." - Nintendo Power Volume 43, page 49.
- ^ English Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 13, 2022, 13:51:45 UTC via archive.today.)
- ^ Shogakukan. 1994.「パーフェクト版 マリオキャラクター大事典」 (Perfect Ban Mario Character Daijiten), page 91.
- ^ https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/l6j/enemy/index.html
- ^ Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia pag. 75