- This article is about the item that turns Mario into Rabbit Mario. For the item that Bowser pulled out in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, see Giga-carrot.
- Not to be confused with Rabbit Ear.
|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)|
|Latest appearance||Luigi's Mansion 3 (2019)|
|Effect||Turns user into Bunny Mario.|
A Carrot (or carrot), also known as a Magic Carrot, is an item that appears in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. It transforms Mario into Bunny Mario, but Wario also uses it to transform into Bunny Wario.
A sentient Carrot appears in Super Mario-kun, first appearing in the last chapter of volume 6, where she helps Mario defeat a Ragumo and Bopping Toady. When the Super Mario Land 2 arc properly starts in the next volume, Carrot, turned into a proper character, joins Mario on his adventure, giving him the Bunny Mario powers whenever he touches her. In personality, she resembles Luigi from the previous story arc, in that she is more reasonable and smart than Mario, always getting angry at him whenever he does something foolish. During the final battle, Carrot gets hypnotized by Wario and turns evil, granting him the Bunny powers, but is later freed. More carrots appear in later chapters and volumes, but are just normal, non-anthropomorphic carrots.
Carrots also make a brief appearance in Mario Kirby Meisaku Video. After Mario crashes his kart during his pursuit of the mysterious thief W, who was trying to escape in his Plane, the Bulldog, Mario finds a garden full of Carrots, eats one, and transforms into Bunny Mario.
Carrots reappear in Mario Sports Superstars as one of the foods in Horse Racing mode.
Names in other languages
- In a preview for Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, the gliding power-up was described as a winged "Cap" rather than the Carrot, and the screenshot was blacked out.
- In the Super Mario Mash-up in Minecraft, the traditional Minecraft carrots take on their look from the Mario titles.
- Nintendo Power Volume 43, pages 44 and 48.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins North American Virtual Console manual, page 11.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins English instruction booklet, page 11.
- Nintendo Power Volume 44, SPC 6. "This time, a Magic Carrot turns Mario into a high-flying hare."
- Super Mario Land 2: 6-tsu no Kinka Japanese instruction booklet, page 9.
- Nintendo Magazine System (AU) Issue #5, page 54.