|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)|
- This article is about the hippo statue from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. For the stage featuring said hippo, see Hippo (level).
The Hippo is a big, statue-like animal found in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and it appears in its own level. This creature releases soap bubbles from one of its nostrils when Mario approaches it. Then, Mario can go into the Bubble and be able to "swim" in air. The Hippo is not a true enemy; it only releases bubbles.
The Hippo appears in Super Mario-kun volumes 9 and 10. It helps Mario, Carrot and Yokkī reach the Space Zone, but the Unibo pop their bubbles. The Hippo comes to life and arrives to help them by defeating the Unibo and creating one last bubble that takes them to space. The Hippo reaches them with a rocket (much to the three heroes' frustration) and guides them through the Space Zone. Later, it accompanies them to Wario's Castle, explains the function of the Golden Coins and turns back into a statue. After defeating Wario with an electric bomb, the castle is destroyed, so Mario builds a new one out of the Hippo itself, much to his and the freed Mario Land inhabitants' joy.
Names in other languages
Hipopon no Zō
A derivation between "hippo" and「~ぽん」(-pon, a cutesy suffix applied to names as a form of endearment) +「像」(zō, statue)
|Italian||Statua di Hippo||Hippo's Statue|
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins English instruction booklet, page 16.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6-tsu no Kinka Japanese instruction booklet, page 11.
- 「任天堂公式ガイドブック スーパーマリオランド２ ６つの金貨」 (Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook – Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins), page 42.
- Super Mario-kun volume 9, page 153.
- Super Mario-kun volume 9, page 171.
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins spieleanelitung, page 17.
- Super Mario Bros. Enciclopedia; pag. 78