Mario Land (Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)
|First appearance||Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992)|
Mario Land is where the events of Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins take place. The land consists of six primary areas: the Space Zone, Macro Zone, Turtle Zone, Pumpkin Zone, Mario Zone, and Tree Zone. There is also a single Hippo stage leading to the Space Zone, an area branching off the path between the Tree Zone and Macro Zone, and a Toad House-like area on the southern end of Mario Land. On the center of the island is Mario's castle. To the direct south of the castle lies the casino and the starting area, and to the west is the Scenic Course filled with Goombas and Para-Goombas.
During the events of the game, while Mario is off in Sarasaland to rescue Princess Daisy in Super Mario Land, Wario invades Mario Land and conquers it, transforming his castle and spreading the six Golden Coins across the zones. When Mario returns and discovers this, he must travel the six zones to retrieve the coins and reclaim his land.
Nintendo Power illustration for the Super Mario Land 2 guide.
Names in other languages
- While not explicitly referred to as such in most material, one issue of Nintendo Power refers to Mario Land as Mario's "kingdom".
- ^ Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins English instruction booklet, pages 3 and 17.
- ^ Super Mario Land 2: 6-tsu no Kinka Japanese instruction booklet, pages 1 and 13.
- ^ Official Chinese website for the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary. Retrieved February 7, 2021.
- ^ Nintendo Power Volume 44, SPC 28. "Mario wicked Wario reigns over Mario Land, our Koopa-crushing hero searches for the Six Golden Coins in a quest to reclaim his kingdom."