Scorch 'n' Torch
|Scorch 'n' Torch|
|Game||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze|
|Music track||Scorch 'n' Torch|
|<< Directory of levels >> ^^|
Scorch 'n' Torch takes place during a wildfire and is the first level to have Water Sacks. These can be used to extinguish flaming grass, vines and sometimes Porcupals. The leaves on branches are temporary platforms that slowly turn to ashes when stepped on. Broad patches of ground, called Fire Floor, will begin to sizzle as soon as the Kongs step on them, inflicting damage if they stay too long in that spot.
Scorch 'n' Torch starts in a grassy savannah at nighttime. At the start, Donkey Kong can pull a buried vine to unearth a Water Sack. To the right is a platform with a Porcupal and an Item Container. Amidst the wildfire, the Kongs encounter two temporarily platforms made of wilted leaves, and a Fire Floor is between the platforms. A cluster of Water Sacks on a short platform comes afterward. Donkey Kong must throw them at a Fire Floor and a Porcupal on the same platform, and a DK Barrel is at the other end of the platform. After this, the Kongs must swing from two vines, each with a flame at the tip, to get over the burning grass. Another cluster of Water Sacks comes directly after the vines. They must throw it at the burning grass to right of a flaming pit and then jump across. The Kongs must continue by a few more leaf platforms and jump onto a rocky platform with a Porcupal, which they can defeat with a Water Sack. They must use another Water Sack to extinguish a vine engulfed in fire and then swing from it to land on a tree, which starts to sink into the pit of fire below. The Kongs must jump from the temporary leaf platforms to get on a rocky platform to the right with the first checkpoint.
Just after the checkpoint, the Kongs then encounter an Archy (fire) and a few Flaming Falling Totem Poles (the first of which crushes the Archy (fire)) and cracked parts of the ground which emit fire when walked on. After a fiery platform and a Flaming Falling Totem Pole is another cluster of Water Sacks, which they can use at a Porcupal and to douse the fire on a spinning platform ahead (which leads to a Bonus Level). The Kongs can jump from three more platforms ahead, and the latter two each have a Flaming Falling Totem Pole that fall onto them. The Kongs must avoid standing on the platforms for too long before the platform catches on fire. The Kongs must swing from a large vine with a flaming tip, and then go under two smaller flaming vines on a patch of land that catches fire as the Kongs walk across. After this, the Kongs must go across a few more platforms as fireballs drip between the gaps from the trees above. The Kongs must then jump from a three more trees which sink into the fire when the Kongs jump on them. The second checkpoint is on the platform right after.
After the second checkpoint, the Kongs must go across three more platforms of wilted leaves while avoiding the fireballs dripping between them. Another Archy (fire) is on a platform after, followed by three more vines that are engulfed in flames. The Kongs come across a DK Barrel just before three Fluffs that jump across a ground that catches fire as the Kongs move across it. A Burlap Hanging Sack is over a small platform to the right, and it can be broken from a Water Sack on a Flaming Falling Totem Pole on a longer platform, where another is at the end of the platform. On the next platform, the Kongs must move under a tree and avoid many consecutive rows fireballs that fall from above. Afterward, the Kongs come across a large tree trunk; a cluster of Water Sacks is to the right of the trunk, and the Kongs must throw it to a flaming vine to jump across two vines with a flame at the tip, while avoiding more fireballs that drip between the vines. From the third vine, the Kongs must jump into a Blast Barrel, which blasts them to a trail of bananas and a few Banana Coins above a large tree bush engulfed in flames. The Kongs land on another flammable surface, which the Slot Machine Barrel is bouncing back and forth across.
- K: On the highest of the three sets of the wilted leafy platforms.
- O: Between two burning ropes over a hot surface.
- N: Beneath the second of the three burning trees before the second checkpoint.
- G: Under the tree raining multiple drops of fire in succession.
- Revealed after putting out the fire and rolling through the bushes under the two swinging ropes.
- Revealed after collecting all of the Bananas on the burning tree just before the first checkpoint.
- Past the first few Screaming Pillars, there is a panel lit on fire. After putting it out, Donkey Kong must pound on it to flip it over, revealing an entrance to a Bonus Area with the Puzzle Piece.
- Under a plug over a hot surface. This plug takes slightly longer to pull out, therefore the ground's heat must be put out first.
- On the topmost platform of the third of the three burning trees just before the second checkpoint.
- There is a tree stump with fire burning from the left of it which, when extinguished, reveals an opening to another Bonus Area with the Puzzle Piece.
- Within the bushes on the other side of the hot surface with the Slot Machine Barrel.
|Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||content/Worlds/w02_savannah/l04_savannah_fireWater.pak||l04_savannah_fireWater.pak||Savannah Level 4: Fire Water|
Names in other languages
|French||Broussailles embrasées||Burning Brushwood|
|German||Feuerwasserlimbo||Fire Water Limbo|
|Italian||Foresta di Fuoco||Fiery Forest|
|Spanish||Incendio incesante||Incessant Conflagration|
- von Esmarch, Nick, and Cory van Grier. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze PRIMA Official Game Guide. Stage 3-4: Scorch N Torch (Island 3: Bright Savannah).