- Not to be confused with Barrel Cannon Canyon.
|Game||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze|
|Music track||Savannah Pop|
|<< Directory of levels >>|
Cannon Canyon is the sixth level of Bright Savannah in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and its Nintendo Switch port of the same name. As the name implies, the level revolves around using Barrel Cannons to progress through the level. The level also makes extensive use of the dynamic camera angles introduced in this game. It is the shortest level in the game.
The level starts off in a rocky canyon in the middle of a savannah. Donkey Kong must continue across a few sturdy wooden platforms, some of which have a Tucks on them. The second platform has a DD Barrel on it, and the upper-left one leads to a bonus room. After this is a longer platform with Hanging TNTs moving up and down, then another platform which a Hanging TNT is swaying back and forth above, and another Hanging TNT swaying above two smaller platforms with a gap between. Afterwards, the Kongs must go on a platform leading into a Barrel Cannon, and they must blast with proper timing because of a Hanging TNT raising and lowering next to it. This process is repeated two more times, followed by another Barrel Cannon, which launches the Kongs into a wooden wall, knocking it over, and the camera changes to a behind-the-back perspective. The Kongs must blast from some more Barrel Cannons (and possibly collect a Red Balloon along the way). Some Archies are shown in the background, attempting to shoot fish at the Kongs, but miss. The Kongs then blast from a few Blast Barrels which circle around to another area, where the Kongs must from a few more Barrel Cannons between Hanging TNTs. Afterward, the Kongs launch into another wall as more fish are fired at them in the background. The Kongs pass the first checkpoint along the way, and by hitting the wall, the Kongs knock it over and can use it for a bridge to continue.
After this is a series of wooden platforms hanging over a larger platform. The larger platform leads to Boom Bird, who must be defeated so that the Kongs can throw it at a nearby wall to access the area behind it. Beyond this point is a series of tree trunks attached with explosives, each having bundle of dynamite attached to them. This dynamite automatically detonates when the Kongs pass, causing the tree trunk to possibly fall onto him. The Kongs must go into a Barrel Cannon and immediately blast from it before a tree trunk crushes it. The Kongs must quickly blast from some more Barrel Cannons before they are crushed by a tree trunks. The Kongs must then blast from two Barrel Cannons that tilt in a few directions, but they must avoid hitting into the tree trunks or Hanging TNT; the game camera changes its angle for most of the Barrel Cannons that the Kongs move from. The Kongs must blast across four more tree trunks and then go down a waterfall, blasting from a few more Barrel Cannons. The Kongs must blast across the river and watch out for the Green Finley that jumps in and out. Shortly after, the Kongs blast between two wooden walls, causing them to ricochet as they propel upwards. After this is a few more Barrel Cannons which all shoot into the background directly, with a Hanging TNT in each gap. After the brief sequence, the Kongs land onto a wooden platform with the Slot Machine Barrel.
- K: Above a swinging Hanging TNT before the first Barrel Cannon.
- O: Between two wooden platforms shortly after the first checkpoint.
- N: When the Kongs reach a Barrel Cannon positioned above water, a Green Finley will leap out of the water along with the letter "N", before they both go back in. The Kongs must launch as the Finley jumps out.
- G: Among the Hanging TNTs that spin in a carousel-like fashion before the Slot Machine Barrel. The Kongs must launch at the right time to collect it.
- Among the wooden platforms at the beginning of the level, there is a high platform that is reached by jumping on a nearby Tuck. To the left of it is a secret entrance to a Bonus Area containing the Puzzle Piece.
- Just before the Kongs launch past the Hanging TNTs that move vertically up and down, the Puzzle Piece will appear coming down along the second rope. The Kongs must collect it as they launch towards the Blast Barrel at the right time before it disappears off the screen.
- Just past the first checkpoint, there is a Boom Bird carrying a Watermelon Fuse Bomb. After defeating it, Donkey Kong must carry the bomb and head back to find a wooden plate under the collapsed tower and throw it at it, opening an entrance to another Bonus Area with the Puzzle Piece.
- In a concealed area under where the Boom Bird was walking, accessed by pounding a panel on the right.
- Underneath the platform with the Slot Machine Barrel, obtained by entering a Barrel Cannon found on the left.
- Boom Birds
- Green Finleys
- Hanging TNTs
- Archies (background)
- Swooper Doopers (background)
|Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||content/Worlds/w02_savannah/l06_savannah_cannonCanyon.pak||l06_savannah_cannonCanyon.pak||Savannah Level 6: Cannon Canyon|
Names in other languages
Taru Taihō Kyanion
|Barrel Cannon Canyon|
|French||Canyons aux canons||Canyons to the Cannons|
|Italian||Canyon Cannone||Cannon Canyon|
|Spanish||Cañonazos en el cañón||Cannon Shots in the Canyon|
- The level was originally known as Cannon Canyons and was going to be World 2-6, but this was changed in the final version.
- GameSpot (June 13, 2013). Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - E3 2013 Stage Demo. YouTube. Retrieved June 12, 2017.