Corkscrew (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
The Corkscrew is an underwater special move in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and its Nintendo Switch port. The move can be executed by any of the playable characters and can be used to attack most submerged enemies, such as Finleys and Gordos, or to collapse flimsy structures in order to reveal items. It can be performed in place or while swimming, offering some momentum in the latter case. If Donkey Kong is alone, he can only perform one Corkscrew at a time, but if assisted by a partner (or if playing as Funky Kong in the Nintendo Switch port), he is able to Corkscrew continuously, a move referred to as a Kong Corkscrew.
The move is comparable to the land-based Roll Attack and marks the first time in the Donkey Kong Country series where the Kongs have the ability to attack enemies underwater without an Animal Friend's help.
The Corkscrew move can be executed by:
- pressing or , when the player uses the primary controls of the Wii U GamePad and Joy-Cons;
- pressing or , when the player uses the secondary controls of the Wii U GamePad and Joy-Cons;
- shaking the when the player uses only the Wii Remote;
- shaking the and when the player uses both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk.
Instruction manual descriptions
You can spin while swimming, dealing damage to enemies in your path. You can also destroy barrels and find hidden objects.
- Corkscrew will not work on some enemies.
Working together, both characters can spin while swimming, attacking any enemies in their path.
- Kong Corkscrew does not work on some enemies.
Attacking a Wild Wendell with a Corkscrew
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Wii U electronic manual. Page 12. nintendo.com. Retrieved September 9, 2020.