Cranky Kong's Shop
|Cranky Kong's Shop
Nintendo 3DS version
|Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)
|Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)
|Donkey Kong Island
- “Donkey Kong's white bearded, grouchy grandfather Cranky Kong has set up shop in each world to help Donkey Kong in his quest. Cranky Kong can ramble on about anything, but don't ignore anything he has to say, as his ramblings provide useful information to those who pay careful attention.”
- —Donkey Kong Country Returns instruction manual
Cranky Kong's Shop is a shop run by Cranky Kong in Donkey Kong Country Returns and its Nintendo 3DS remake, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. It serves as the successor to Cranky's Cabin from Donkey Kong Country, which according to Cranky himself, is due to his pension having been revoked.
There is a shop in each of the eight worlds, although they all carry the same selection of goods at the same prices. Many useful items can be purchased at these shops in exchange for Banana Coins. Although most of what Cranky sells is not mandatory, he does sell a key in each world, which will open up an alternate path on the map, allowing the player(s) to access additional levels. This is required for completing the game by 100 percent.
As with previous games, Cranky will sometimes complain about his situation such as needing Banana Coins, being stuck in a shack, or how the game is "too hard" for Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. He often makes snide remarks about the items purchased by the player(s), and frequently alludes to the Golden Temple. If the player(s) currently have a maximum number of 99 lives, Cranky refuses to sell a Red Balloon to them. Likewise, if the player(s) buy a key, they cannot purchase it again.
Donkey Kong Country Returns
|Grants one extra balloon.
|Grants three extra balloons.
|Grants seven extra balloons.
|Adds one extra heart to your heart count.
|Squawks helps you find Puzzle Pieces.
|Makes you temporarily invincible!
|This key opens a locked path in this world.
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D extra items
|Saves you once from a fall! (Not all the time.)
|Makes your Mine Cart or Rocket Barrel temporarily invincible!
|Allows you to use a DK Barrel anytime.
Names in other languages
- The Banana Juice potion could be an allusion to Donkey Kong 64, where Cranky was a scientist who crafted potions for the player.
- In the Image Gallery, a concept artwork of Cranky's Shop shows he had only one balloon for each amount of lives, and in different colors.
- If the player does not select an item from the shop for a while, Cranky will get tired and fall asleep.
- Only in the Nintendo 3DS remake, if the player is playing New Mode and waits on the Portable DK Barrel long enough, Cranky will make a The Legend of Zelda reference saying, "It's dangerous to go alone! Buy this!", substituting "Take" with "Buy".
- "They stopped paying my pension ages ago. Now I'm reduced to selling junk out of this old shack." Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.