- This article is about the third world in Donkey Kong Country Returns. For the Subspace Emissary stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, see The Ruins.
|Game||Donkey Kong Country Returns (3D)|
|<< List of worlds >>|
- “Wow, you made it all the way to the ruins. I'd pat you on the head if I wasn't so cranky.”
- —Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong Country Returns
The Ruins is the third world from Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. It is infested by the Tiki Tak Tribe and located on Donkey Kong Island. As its name states, the levels take place in some ancient ruins. Some new elements introduced here are collapsing platforms, buttons and switches. New enemies such as Tiki Tanks, Tiki Bombers, Stilts and Toothberries make their appearance here. The Ruins shares similarities to Monkey Mines from Donkey Kong Country. When asked if they were the same location, senior designer Kynan Pearson approved of the idea.
Stu is the boss of this world.
From the world map, the Ruins has a similar appearance to the jungle, with grass and some plants surrounding the level paths. The world's theme appears to be inspired from the Mayans and appears to have once hosted an ancient civilization. It has crumbling temples, ancient statues and mines. The landmass is divided by a river flowing down from a tunnel. A large gong depicting the world's boss, Stu, appears at the end of the world. When Donkey Kong and Diddy defeat Stu, the gong is cracked and a DK flag appears where the crack is, in the center.
Many areas within the Ruins are fragile and dilapidated, and some of the ground even crumbles when the Kongs move across it. Many small rivers and streams run through the Ruins, especially in its abandoned waterways.
|Code||Name/Screenshot||No. of Puzzle Pieces||Description|
|7||A basic and defining level of this world, starting near the beach and taking place among ruins. It introduces Tiki Bombers and Stilts.|
|7||A stage primarily navigated by Barrel Cannons, arranged in a maze.|
|7||A maritime level taking place outside the ruins scene. It features a fleet of ships manned by Snippys and Pinchlys.|
|9||A level occurring inside a sombre, flooded dungeon, featuring water mills of various sizes.|
Itty Bitty Biters
|7||A level that takes place in a Toothberry-infested shrine.|
|5||The second level in the game to feature Rambi the Rhino. In the second half of the level, the Kongs would have to venture on a precarious road risen above a jungle.|
|5||The third temple stage of the game. Its primary features are the solid golden blocks and walls shifting on rails, pushing into each other.|
|0||The third boss level of the game. It pits the Kongs against Stu.|
Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Prima's Official Strategy Guide (page 19): The Ruins is the island's third world. These levels take place in the ruins of ancient civilizations that have been hidden away in a jungle. While you face several of the same enemies as you did in the previous worlds, you also face stilts, Toothberries, and Acks. As you travel though these ruins, look for hidden areas and pound on containers to get items. If you see a vine hanging from a statue head, jump up and grab it to pull on it. This will always cause something interesting to happen.
The following is extra content that can be unlocked in the Ruins. The unlockables can be seen in their respective galleries after selecting the "EXTRAS" option in a file's menu. For a full list of extras in the game, see here.
Images are unlocked by collecting all Puzzle Pieces in certain levels. All images that can be unlocked in the Ruins are listed below, along with their titles and the levels wherein they can be unlocked (mentioned in parentheses).
A soundtrack selection for this world can be unlocked after beating Stu.
- "Voices of the Temple Returns" – plays in Button Bash, Itty Bitty Biters, and Temple Topple. An arrangement of "Voices of the Temple" from Donkey Kong Country.
- "Ruin Rhapsody" – plays in Wonky Waterway and Damp Dungeon. It also plays in Spiky Surprise of the Cloud world.
- "Mast Blast" – plays in Mast Blast; can also be heard earlier in the game, in Cannon Cluster.
- "Savory Stu" – plays in Ruined Roost.
Names in other languages