|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013)|
Mangoruby is the fifth boss in the game Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. It is a caterpillar-like creature which serves as the boss of the Forest area, appearing in the level Mangoruby Run. Mangoruby is seen sleeping peacefully in a large hollow tree before it is hypnotized by Wacky Pipes.
While Mangoruby is normal, it has a yellow head with green leaves growing out of it, resembling a mango. It also has purple eyes with black pupils and its eyelids resemble bright yellow flowers when open and purple buds when closed. Its eyes are also very sensitive to light. Mangoruby also has green leaves for arms. It has a long vine-like body with 6 radish-like body segments. These segments have the ability to release electricity to attack its enemies. It also has a tail fin made out of leaves that regenerates itself every time it dives into the water after having lost a body segment.
Mangoruby mainly attacks by chasing Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong around the arena (which only happens after the player hits the first switch, or else it will not show up). The boss chases the Kongs through all the twists and turns and will hurt them on contact (although sometimes it starts shaking, moving slowly while sweating and making a cracking sound for a few seconds before speeding up again). However, the Kongs will be safe if they stand on one of the various wooden platforms throughout the arena. Occasionally, the boss will drop a ball of electrical energy that will split up into two surges going in opposite directions. If the Kongs touch the ball of energy, they will lose a heart. Each time Mangoruby loses a segment, it moves faster.
To defeat Mangoruby, Donkey and Diddy must hit all five switches on the platforms to release the light and cause Mangoruby to deactivate its electricity. Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong must then jump on its pink segments to destroy them (two at a time). This must be done three times. After this, Wacky Pipes will release itself from the body and will be vulnerable to Donkey Kong's attack.
Names in other languages
|Spanish||Lombrillante||Pun on lombriz (worm) and brillante (shiny)|
- The boss battle music associated with Mangoruby is among the three boss themes that can be unlocked, the other two being Stu's and Tiki Tong's.
- Mangoruby is one of only two bosses to not eat or transport the Kongs' bananas before the boss fight, along with Stu.
- Mangoruby is the only boss in Donkey Kong Country Returns to not get a trophy cameo in either Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS or Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
- Mangoruby appears to be sensitive to light, as when the light is released, Mangoruby closes its eyes and only reopens them when hit or when the lights are blocked.
- If the player times it just right, and is extremely lucky, they can end up escaping a hit if Mangoruby goes over them and they are flush with the surface of the floor.