- This article is about the enemy from Donkey Kong Land. For the enemy from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, see Egg Flapper.
- Not to be confused with Nemo.
Flappers are underwater, mussel-like foes that appear exclusively in Donkey Kong Land. They commonly dwell the second world, Kremlantis, and return in numerous other underwater areas of the same game. When attacking, a Flapper claps its mantle together and propel itself upwards. After it reaches a point high enough, it slowly begins to sink. If a Kong touches this enemy while it is moving through the water, he gets injured and passes out. Flappers are often encountered in groups and swim in tight spaces to increase difficulty.
No English Donkey Kong Land-related material refers to Flappers as such. However, they are repeatedly described as sea creatures in Volume 74 of Nintendo Power, a descriptor that is not used for other aquatic enemies found in the game. The free 24-page booklet of Donkey Kong Land from UK's Nintendo Magazine System instead refers to it as Nemo, which is the name of a separate enemy referred to on the same page as Nautilus. This is also the case in the magazine issues.
Two Flappers surrounding Diddy Kong
Names in other languages
- Super Donkey Kong GB Shogakukan Guide Book
- Nintendo Power Volume 74. Page 18. "A sea creature chases you down into the depths when you swim for the letter 'K', but don't be intimidated— wait at the bottom of the pit until he slowly swims away."
- Nintendo Power Volume 74. Page 19. "These sea creatures swim faster up than down."
- Donkey Kong Land, Nintendo Magazine System (UK) WORLD EXCLUSIVE Review booklet. Page 13.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) Issue #35, page 50.
- Nintendo Magazine System (AU) Issue #31, page 64.