|First appearance||Donkey Kong Land (1995)|
- “A large shell-dwelling creature that chases down Donkey and Diddy when they're underwater.”
- —Donkey Kong Land manual, page 20
Nemos, also named Nautilus, are aquatic enemies who appear in Donkey Kong Land. Their name is taken from Captain Nemo, who pilots the submarine called the Nautilus in the science fiction novel Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, likely as a joke regarding the enemy itself being a nautilus. Nemos appear only in the level Nautilus Chase, in which they are the main feature. Nemos are the game's successor to Croctopuses from Donkey Kong Country.
Nemos act somewhat similarly to Croctopuses but are much more aggressive, chasing Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong regardless of where he swims in relation to it, instead of following a set path. They also move in quick darting motions, unlike Croctopuses' smooth gliding through the water.
When the active Kong first encounters a Nemo, it appears to be dormant. As Donkey Kong or Diddy swims past the Nemo, it suddenly emerges from its shell and quickly follows him, including in tight spaces. If the active Kong does not swim fast enough, he gets hit by a Nemo and therefore injured. Like the game's other aquatic enemies, Nemos cannot be defeated. At some point, the Nemo quits chasing either Kong and huddles back up in a corner within the coral.
Names in other languages
|Japanese||ノーチラス[better source needed]
- Donkey Kong Land instruction booklet, page 20.
- Donkey Kong Land, Nintendo Magazine System (UK) WORLD EXCLUSIVE Review booklet, page 13.
- Nintendo Magazine System (UK) Issue #35, page 52.
- Nintendo Magazine System (AU) Issue #31, page 65.
- Super Donkey Kong GB Kōryaku Guide Book
- Donkey Kong Land Italian booklet, pag. 20
- Donkey Kong Land Italian booklet, pag. 17