Hogwash the Flying Pig
|Hogwash the Flying Pig|
Artwork of a Hogwash from Donkey Kong Land
|First appearance||Donkey Kong Land (1995)|
- “Flying pigs? Something's not kosher in Donkey Kong Land! Like Necky, these porcine pilots patrol the airways and always seem to violate Kong's airspace at inopportune moments.”
- —Donkey Kong Land manual, page 20
Hogwash the Flying Pig, or simply Hogwash, is a species of flying pigs in Donkey Kong Land. Hogwash shares a name with the term "hogwash", which expresses nonsense or bunk. Their ability to fly is derived from the idiom "when pigs fly", when someone believes that something is not possible. During the game's development, Hogwashes were named Rashers, a term for bacon used chiefly in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Donkey Kong Land
In Donkey Kong Land, Hogwashes are enemies which fly around in the sky, usually horizontally, but sometimes back and forth. Hogwashes act the same as Neckies, as Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong can defeat a Hogwash by jumping on it, also sending them to a higher area.
Hogwashes are very common enemies, appearing in many levels: Freezing Fun, Tyre Trail, Riggin' Rumble, Track Attack, Sky High Caper, Landslide Leap, Balloon Barrage, Kong Krazy, Construction Site Fight, Fast Barrel Blast, and lastly Skyscraper Caper.
Donkey Kong Country: Rumble in the Jungle
- “Those pigs must be the Krem-dudes' newest experiment.”
- —Funky Kong, Donkey Kong Country: Rumble in the Jungle
In Donkey Kong Country: Rumble in the Jungle, a swarm of Hogwashes (referred to as "flying pigs") are revealed to have shot explosive cannonballs at Funky Kong's barrel plane, causing it to crash land over Big Ape City. Hearing this occurring over a walkie-talkie, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Cranky Kong travel to the Kremlings' factory in Big Ape City to rescue him. At the city, they learn that it was the Kremlings' automatic defense system who had sent the Hogwashes to shoot down Funky's plane, as he was thought to be a spy.
After Funky Kong is rescued, he begins working on repairing his damaged plane. Donkey Kong proceeds to the factory's defense system, and uses a TNT Barrel to destroy it so the Kongs can safely leave Big Ape City. Once the plane is repaired, the Kongs leave through a hole in the factory wall. Despite the defense system being destroyed, another swarm of flying pigs attempt to attack the plane. Funky Kong has the idea to pour the plane's entire supply of banana milkshake over the pigs. This causes their wings to become sticky, which forces them to glide back to the ground. The Kongs later use TNT Barrels to blow up the entire factory, escaping safely in their plane.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Hogwash il Maiale volante||Hogwash the Flying pig|
- A flying pig was considered for one of the Animal Friends during development of Donkey Kong Country.
- Donkey Kong Land instruction booklet, page 20.
- Nintendo Power Volume 74, pages 13, 16, 21.
- Donkey Kong Land, Nintendo Magazine System (UK) WORLD EXCLUSIVE Review booklet, pages 11, 17, 18.
- Nintendo Power #69, page 93.
- Donkey Kong Land Italian booklet, pag. 20
- Official Russian Nintendo website.
- "Some animal helpers that didn’t make the final cut included a dolphin, an owl that would give players information, a fox that would reveal secrets, snakes that could be used as vines, a giraffe whose long neck would help the Kongs reach high areas, and a flying pig." - Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics eGuide, Donkey Kong Country Animal Buddies Tab.