|First appearance||Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004)|
Francesca is a character in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. A female Pianta, she is the daughter of Don Pianta and the love interest of Frankie. She has yellow skin and wears a white dress with a red ribbon, white sun hat, and golden-brown grass skirt.
After Francesca elopes with Frankie, Don Pianta sends Mario to find and bring them back in exchange for the Blimp Ticket to Glitzville. The pair can be found at Rogueport's harbor waiting to board a ship. Upon being informed that her father is looking for them, Francesca suggests to Frankie they run away. Regardless of Mario's responses, they are brought back to Don Pianta to take full blame of the situation. Despite this, Don Pianta allows them to be married.
Later on, Francesca and Frankie travel to Keelhaul Key and become shipwrecked in the Pirate's Grotto, where they are found among many Toads. After they are rescued, Francesca questions why Mario has come and worries if Don Pianta wants them back. After Lord Crump and the X-Nauts are defeated, Francesca and Frankie decide to stay on the island.
When Mario returns to Don Pianta to obtain the Train Ticket to Poshley Heights, he informs Mario he misses Francesca so much he has become sick with grief. Mario must return to Keelhaul Key to find the pair in the jungle, searching for Francesca's Wedding Ring, which she has lost on the island. Despite Mario informing her of her father's illness, Francesca refuses to leave until her ring is found, fearing it will be eaten. When Frankie suggests they search for the ring afterward, Francesca questions his love toward her. After the ring is found, they return to Rogueport.
Don Pianta, upon seeing his daughter, recovers instantly, though tells his mob he is retiring and appoints Frankie in charge of the Pianta syndicate. Francesca is excited, demanding Frankie get to work, and to stop referring to her as pet names. Despite Frankie's new position, Francesca remains in control of the relationship, as shown by Goombella's tattles. Back on Keelhaul Key, she punishes Frankie, forcing him to proclaim his love for her at least one hundred times.
- That's Francesca the Pianta. She's "well connected," get me? Her dad's a big boss. She doesn't crave money or power or anything like that, though. She lives for love. Doesn't that, like, totally melt your heart? People could learn from this girl!
- That's Don Pianta's daughter, Francesca. She's head-over-heels for Frankie. Seems like she's got Frankie on a pretty short leash, but... Hey, they're happy, right?
- (Pirate's Grotto) That's Francesca the Pianta. She shipwrecked here even before we did. She doesn't seem too worried. I guess she doesn't care as long as she has Frankie.
- (Keelhaul Key) That's Francesca the Pianta. She and Frankie liked it here and decided to stay. ...But we've got to get them back as quickly as we can!
Names in other languages
|Possibly from「マネー」(manē, money) and "Monica"; also based on「モンテ」(Monte, Pianta)|
|French||Monica||From the Japanese name; Monica is also an Italian female name.|
|German||Palmina||Pun on "palm"; many German names end with "-ina".|
|Italian||Romoletta||Female version of Romeo; a reference to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, which Francesca and Frankie's Italian names (Romoletta and Giuliano, respectively) also refer to.|
|Spanish||Palmira||Pun on "palm"; in Spanish, this word is a variation of "palmera".|
- The name Francesca can be considered the female counterpart of Frankie, underlining their link.