|First appearance||Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004)|
- “The way I see it, the more money you have, the more money you WANT to have. If I have enough to help my friends and enjoy my days, I'll be fine. Secret of life, man!”
- —Arfur, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Arfur is a minor character from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. He is one of several Doogans that live in Rogueport, a town full of thieves. Arfur and his good friend Swindell can usually be found on the eastside of the town in front of the Trouble Center. Goombella remarks that both Arfur and Swindell are often whispering to each other about something unknown. Arfur seems to be one of the more honorable thieves of Rogueport. During the game, he shows ambitions to escape his poor life with earnest and hard work. Goombella mentions something about a super-stern moral code that Arfur follows. In fact, he states that he only steals from rich people because he doesn't see a point in stealing from people who live as poorly as he does. In addition, Arfur seems to dislike greed and only wants to earn enough money to ensure an easy life for him and his friends.
Arfur is usually encountered in front of the Trouble Center. While he has actually no real impact on the plot, he leaves a request at the Trouble Center once during the game. Arfur plans to open his own shop, and he needs to know the current value of Fire Flowers, Sleepy Sheeps, and Tasty Tonics, based on their prices in local stores. Mario can collect this information, but it's also possible to simply lie to Arfur, as he will not suspect anything. After Arfur receives the information, he will state that he can in no way compete with the other stores' prices and will ditch his idea again.
- "That's Arfur. He's always hanging around here. He looks totally suspicious, but apparently he lives by some super-stern moral code."
Names in other languages
|Variation of「ロテン」(Roten, Doogan)|
|Italian||Dammilosso||From "dammi l’osso" (means "give me the bone") and a play off "Mollalosso" (Doogan)|
|Spanish||Rolfo||Possibly derived from the name Rolf|
- Arfur's name is a pun on the name "Arthur" and "arf", an onomatopoeia for a dog barking.
- It's stated that Arfur once asked Lahla, a Boo from the westside of Rogueport, on a date.