|First appearance||Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004)|
|Greater location||Twilight Trail|
|Inhabitants||Boos, Swoops, Buzzy Beetles|
The Creepy Steeple is the home of many Boos and the Atomic Boo in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, but the most important resident is Doopliss, who is even depicted in the stained-glass window in the Steeple's foyer. This location is where Doopliss steals Mario's identity and name, temporarily making him a shadow. After being defeated twice by the real Mario in Chapter 4, Doopliss abandoned Creepy Steeple and joined the Shadow Sirens (in place of Vivian, who had joined Mario).
There is a Boo called The Creepy Steeple Boo who Mario has to interact with at first. Afterwards, Mario must use the stairs behind the main room to get to the balcony, where Doopliss resides. After defeating Doopliss, Mario's body is stolen and he acts as a shadow. With Vivian's help, he gets to know Doopliss's name from the Parrot in a room deep below the steeple as well as the letter "p" required to spell it. With these two things, Mario will be able to confront Doopliss at the balcony again, defeating him and getting the fourth Crystal Star.
The Creepy Steeple is located beyond Twilight Town at the end of the Twilight Trail. There is a secret entrance through the well in front of the Steeple. There is also a secret path in the northern corridor of the building which leads to a golden tree behind the Steeple. This golden tree is the only source of Golden Leaves, which are useful items for recipes.
- Boo (spawn as enemies in the overworld after Atomic Boo is defeated)
- Buzzy Beetle
- Spike Top
- Atomic Boo (Mid-Boss, optional)
- Doopliss (Chapter 4 Boss)
- Goombella (fought with Doopliss)
- Koops (fought if Goombella is defeated)
- Flurrie (fought if Koops is defeated)
- Yoshi (fought if Flurrie is defeated)
|Cookbook||In the treasure room through a hole on the north wall of the main room, it's inside the right chest.|
|Flower Saver||In the room just below the main room, it's in a chest in the secret passage to the back. Have Flurrie blow up the wall.|
|Golden Leaf||In the passage to the north of the main room, the fence on the north is open somewhere. To the right is the tree with this item.|
|Ice Smash||In the treasure room through a hole on the north wall of the main room, it is inside the left chest.|
|Mr. Softener||In the storeroom with the parrot, it is in the right wooden chest.|
|Lucky Start||In the main room, it is dropped by the Atomic Boo.|
|Power Plus||In the storeroom with the parrot, it is in the left wooden chest.|
|Ruby Star||In the balcony, dropped by Doopliss after he is defeated at the end of Chapter 4.|
|Shine Sprite||In the treasure room through a hole on the north wall of the main room, it's in the right.|
|Down the well through the pipe outside the steeple, it's to the southwest of the trampoline.|
|Halfway through the pipe outside the steeple, it's next to the save block.|
|Star Piece||Outside Creepy Steeple, it's to the left of the main gate, by the back side.|
|In the treasure room through a hole on the north wall of the main room, it's behind the mats.|
|In the room to the right of the main room, it's under a panel to the right of the stairs in the middle.|
|In the passage below the main room, it's behind the right windows in the north side. Accessible from the pipe outside the steeple.|
|In the storeroom with the parrot, it's under a panel in the southeast.|
|Steeple Key||In the main room, it's in the left of the south hallway in the high place.|
|Steeple Key||In the storeroom with the parrot, it's in the southwest chest.|
|The letter "p"||In the storeroom with the parrot, it's in the west chest.|
|Tornado Jump||Down the well through the pipe outside the steeple, it's in the red question block near the Buzzy Beetles.|
|Ultra Shroom||In the passage below the main room, it is dropped by the Boo if his quiz was answered correctly in Chapter 4 and lost forever if answered incorrectly.|
Hidden ? Block
|Item||Description||Image||Image (block revealed)|
|1 Coin||At the entrance of the Steeple, Mario should jump at the fourth step from the top to reveal the hidden ? Block. The location of this block is mentioned in Wonky's Tales, "Creepy Steeple's Secret".|
- "This is Creepy Steeple. Seeing it in the moonlight gives me the willies... It looks like a ghost could pop out at any minute. No way I'm going in there. Uh... Although, I guess since YOU'RE with me, Mario, I'll give it my best..."
- "We're inside Creepy Steeple. At least the moon provides a LITTLE light, y'know? This place seems super-old, huh? I'd like to research it...as soon as it's not haunted."
- "This appears to be the Creepy Steeple storeroom. Sheesh, have a few cobwebs! I'm not so good with ghosts OR spiders, to be honest... And ghost spiders...horrible."
- "Who knew we could get down here from up there? Wow! This room's well hidden! Talk about minimal decor: one jump pad and one door. Think there's anything else?"
- "This is an underground corridor in Creepy Steeple. The flames are kinda freaky. The fact that they're burning means someone must've been here recently, though."
- "This is a courtyard of Creepy Steeple. Pretty decent breeze out here, huh? Aside from the switch, there isn't much here."
- "This is a courtyard of Creepy Steeple. Boy, that garden sure could use some love. Aside from the switch, there isn't much here."
- "Wow, interesting staircase... Hmmm... Just one staircase, but three doors... What's the story with THAT, you think? Lazy architects?"
- "The winding stair leads up to the belfry. Talk about a doozy of a climb! I mean, it's almost like the staircase is saying... "Go away. I totally hate you.""
- "This is the well's bottom... but it seems to have dried up. Which is good for us. There's a corridor leading out of here... smells like a puzzle to me, Mario!"
- "I gotta say, I'm outta ideas. I mean, you can't pull it out, push it away, hammer it... What should we do, Mario? Hmm... I got nothing. I'm thinking we probably oughta just leave it for now."
- "Who knew the bottom of the well connected to this place? This place is totally crazy. I wonder if Doopliss knew about this passage?"
- "This is an underground room in Creepy Steeple. There's a parrot here, but no people. That parrot must get pretty bored with no one around. Think he talks to himself?"
In-game map description
- An old building deep in the woods that exudes a strange aura.
Names in other languages
|「オドロン」is derived from「驚く」(odoroku, to be astonished) and「寺院」means "temple"|
|French||Église occulte||Occult Church|
|Spanish||Templo Lúgubre||Gloomy Temple|
- Wonky: There's a wacky old place called Creepy Steeple somewhere in this land, and if you jump on the fourth step from the top, ol' Wonky hears you get a good thing. I don't know how useful that is, but hey, it's worth a shot.