- Not to be confused with Shady Toad.
|First appearance||Paper Mario: Sticker Star (2012)|
- “I'm gonna live life to the fullest! Mario, you should too!”
- —Swindler Toad, Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Swindler Toad is a character in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. He is one of various Toads in Decalburg in need of assistance. After he is rescued, he tells Mario he intends to embrace fate and live life to the fullest. However, his true intentions become suspicious later on, when he offers to sell Mario a pack of select stickers at a hefty price. If purchased, it turns out to be one overpriced, undesirable Poison Mushroom.
When Mario locates the gap between the Toad Houses on the middle and right and walks toward the background, he finds a Toad taped to the back of the right house with Bowser Tape, which Mario must peel off to rescue him. He greets Mario formally, claiming he was prepared to wallow away without any contact for the remainder of his life rather than embracing the world, possibly sarcastically. He claims to have had an epiphany and desires to live life to the fullest, recommending Mario do the same before running off. He joins the other Toads in restoring the plaza to its glory, celebrating once this is accomplished.
This Toad returns to his hiding spot in the back alley shortly after peace is restored to the town. If Mario talks to him before obtaining a Poison Mushroom, the Toad tells him he has a batch of rare stickers on the way to help him achieve his goal of living life to the fullest. Later on, he tells Mario he has acquired a shipment of extremely rare stickers, offering to supply Mario for 200 coins. Mario is given the option of agreeing and spending or declining to lower the price. As such, he is able to turn the tables and purchase the supply for as little as 25 coins. As the price becomes lower and lower, the Toad becomes more and more in disbelief until eventually, he becomes sick of bartering and storms off, at which point he is not seen for the remainder of the game.
If Mario purchases the Toad's stock at any time during the bartering process, the Toad happily and quickly hands it over before running off. Unfortunately, his entire stock turns out to be one regular Poison Mushroom. Likewise, the Toad disappears after this and is not seen for the rest of the game.
- "Phew... Mario."
- "I'd mentally prepared myself to quietly while away the rest of my days on that wall without anyone ever finding me."
- "But now that you've saved me, I must sally forth once more and brave the uncertainties of this cruel world."
- "I'm gonna live life to the fullest! Mario, you should too!"
- "Hey, I finally got some snazzy, life-fulfilling stickers in - rare ones!"
- "How about 200 coins?"
- "Really? Then how about 150 coins?"
- "Whaaat? Are you serious? Pfffff. Okay then. Let's say 95 coins?"
- "Whaaat? Are you serious? Pfffff. Okay then. Let's say 80 coins?"
- "Whaaat? Are you serious? Pfffff. Okay then. Let's say 60 coins?"
- "Hmmmm, you drive a hard bargain. Well then, can you do 50 coins? Just so you know, I'm reaching my limit."
- "Hmmmm, you drive a hard bargain. Well then, can you do 40 coins? Just so you know, I'm reaching my limit."
- "Hmmmm, you drive a hard bargain. Well then, can you do 30 coins? Just so you know, I'm reaching my limit."
- "Hmmmm, you drive a hard bargain. Well then, can you do 25 coins? Just so you know, I'm reaching my limit."
- "No. Just no! I'm not dropping any more! I like haggling just as much as the next guy, but this is crazy! No deal!"