|First appearance||Paper Mario: Sticker Star (2012)|
- “Well, we may just be a bunch of flat Toads, but we've got to do SOMETHING!”
- —Troublesome Toad, Paper Mario: Sticker Star
The Troublesome Toad is a character in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. He is a notable Toad with an unfortunate habit of inadvertently getting into trouble. As a result, he supplies Mario with his first Thing sticker, his first scrap, and his first new album page, respectively. He is best identified by a possibly permanent crease on his head as a side effect of ramming into Mario.
As Mario is crossing the bridge in Warm Fuzzy Plains, he is halted suddenly and abruptly by a panicking Toad, who runs into him, knocking them both momentarily unconscious, dropping his rare Scissors sticker, and creating a crease in his head. He quickly gets up and brushes it off, warning Mario he needs to leave, stating he is being chased by Bowser Jr. due to picking up the sticker.
Once the Wooden Bridge has been crumpled up and tossed out of reach, Mario must retreat to the beginning of the level, where he may find several Toads panicking over Bowser Jr.'s sudden arrival. Mario must speak with the creased Toad hidden away behind the bushes. He announces Bowser Jr.'s defeat and calms down the others. When he learns the bridge is gone, he becomes determined to repair it, stacking up with the other Toads and following Mario to the middle of the stage. When they approach the ledge with the crumpled scrap, they straighten themselves out, forming a staircase allowing Mario to reach the scrap. After he picks it up, the other Toads walk away, while the Troublesome Toad stays in the area. Interestingly, if spoken to, he mentions being paid handsomely for a Thing of this sort, referring to selling them in shops and possibly purchasing from the Shady Toad.
As Mario is crossing the bridge in Water's Edge Way, a Toad who is heavily implied to be this Toad runs into him, once again knocking them both out for a moment, giving Kersti a strong sense of deja vu. Just the same, he tells Mario he is being followed due to picking something up, believing he has not done anything wrong. He pawns his new item, an album page, off on Mario, leaving him to deal with Kamek. He remains around here for the rest of the game. If spoken to, he admits he has a tendency to get into trouble and apologizes for getting him involved.
- "Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow..."
- "Whoa, Mario! You've got to get up! This is no place to be conked out!"
- "Anyway, no time to chat. I'm being chased by some troublemaker! I'm off!"
- "Ah, Mario! Since you're here, that must mean you pummelled Bowser Jr.!"
- "I still can't believe that twerp turned up just when I'd found a rare, never-before-seen-at-least-not-by-me sticker..."
- "What? The bridge is completely gone? That's not good! We have to fix it!"
- "Well, we may just be a bunch of flat Toads, but we've got to do SOMETHING! Let's head over there!"
- "COME ON, FELLAS!"
- "Ah, I see. That crumpled mess up there?"
- "All right, fellas! Time to Toad up! Hearts and minds as one!"
- "That went well. Glad we could help!"
- "Aarrgh, Mario! Seriously - AAARRGH! Some madman is following me!"
- "I don't deserve to have some lunatic following me! I haven't done anything wrong!"
- "All I did was pick up this rare thing while I was out for a walk!"
- "Mario, take it off my hands, will you? Please!"
- "Seems like I'm always running around, getting myself into trouble... Sorry for being such a hassle."