Reptiles in the Rose Garden
|The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 episode|
|"Reptiles in the Rose Garden"|
|Airdate||September 8, 1990 (English) |
September 6, 1991 (French)
|Opening curtain||Grass Land|
|Featured song||"The Frog"|
|<< List of episodes >>|
- “How dare you disturb the almost-empress of the entire real world?!”
- —Kootie Pie Koopa
"Reptiles in the Rose Garden" is the second episode of The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3; it aired alongside another episode of The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 entitled "Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopas".
Kootie Pie Koopa is celebrating her sixteenth birthday. However, her greed has caused her to want much more than the gifts she currently has that were stolen for her from across the Mushroom Kingdom. When her father, King Koopa, asks her what she wants the most, she responds, "America." King Koopa is reluctant to grant her her wish and reasons that America is located in the real world, but eventually yields when Kootie Pie throws a tantrum.
Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Princess Toadstool are enjoying their day in the Mushroom Kingdom, when they catch sight of King Koopa's Doom Ship headed for the real world. King Koopa sends his Chain Chomps to capture them before they can do a thing about it. Kootie Pie then gloats about how she is going to become "Empress of America" and that "(the Princess) is just Princess Toadstool of the measly Mushroom Kingdom".
The Doom Ship flies through a Warp Pipe leading to Washington, D.C. where it arrives at the White House. King Koopa looks through a telescope and finds the President in his office, talking on the phone. King Koopa then orders two Sledge Brothers to shoot the White House with a Levitation Beam, ripping it out of the ground and warping it to Kastle Koopa.
King Koopa then announces to the citizens through a megaphone that Kootie Pie is now taking over as Empress of America. Shortly after, at a press conference, Kootie Pie gives out her new "laws":
- Every child in America must give her all of their toys.
- Any boy who does not ask her on a date will be turned into a rock by King Koopa.
- All the gold in Fort Knox will be melted down to make an endless lifetime supply of charm bracelets for Kootie Pie.
King Koopa then orders everyone in America to pledge allegiance to Kootie Pie, "and to the repulsiveness for which she stands."
At Kastle Koopa, Mario's group notices the White House outside the dungeon window and need to return the White House and the President to America, or else Kootie Pie will rule forever; however, they are still trapped in the dungeon with several Boomerang Brothers and Fire Brothers watching them, and the Chain Chomps still holding them down.
Princess Toadstool tricks the Boomerang Brothers and the Fire Brothers to start fighting each other, and then she and the others use the crossfire to cut off the chains of the Chain Chomps. Mario's group then escapes from the dungeon through a Warp Pipe.
At this point, King Koopa returns to Dark Land on board the Doom Ship, and intends on keeping Kootie Pie happy by sending the President where he will never be rescued: The bottom of the Mushroom Sea. By using the Levitation beam, he levitates the White House over the Mushroom Sea and lets it sink to the bottom.
Mario rushes to put on a Frog Suit and dives into the Mushroom Sea. A Blooper Nanny chases Mario, but Mario tricks her into hitting a Jump Block. Mario is then chased around by a Jelectro, that Mario lures into and ditches in a pipe complex. Finally, Mario makes it to the White House and enters through the front door.
After arriving and being mistaken by Mrs. President for a member of the Secret Service, Mario goes to the basement, attaches several pipes together and directs them out the windows. He then turns a valve which pumps all the water out of the White House and raises it to the surface of the water. Mrs. President thanks Mario, but Princess Toadstool, Luigi and Toad come by in a rowboat to inform them that Bowser's loading up the Doom Ship to attack London, Paris and even Brooklyn.
Mario and Luigi disguise themselves as Sledge Brothers and sneak aboard the Doom Ship, but their disguises do not fool the guards and they soon find themselves fleeing angry Sledge Brothers. After dodging their attacks, Mario, though, is still able to make it to the cockpit, while Luigi holds off the Sledge Brothers with a cannon.
As the brothers take control of the Doom Ship, Mario uses the Levitation Beam to send the White House back through the Warp Pipe, but he accidentally places it on top of the Washington Monument. Fortunately, Mario is able to correct this mistake, and places the White House back in its proper location.
Kootie Pie objects to the return of the White House, and Mario tells her to go home. Kootie Pie then throws a tantrum, and Mario levitates her (mid-tantrum) back through the warp pipe to Kastle Koopa. Mario and Luigi return the Doom Ship to Kastle Koopa, and deliberately crash it, which angers King Koopa.
Kootie Pie then blames her father for letting the Mario Bros. spoil everything, but he finally gets fed up with her whining and commands her to do her chores as punishment for her behavior and treating him like a slave. Mario and his friends can hear them yelling from outside the castle, and Mario comments that King Koopa is finally giving Kootie Pie "the present she deserves."
- Princess Toadstool
- King Koopa
- Kootie Pie Koopa
- Mrs. President
- Mr. President
- Big Mouth Koopa
- Bully Koopa (no dialogue)
- Cheatsy Koopa (no dialogue)
- Kooky von Koopa (no dialogue)
- Hip Koopa (no dialogue)
- Hop Koopa (no dialogue)
- Sledge Brothers
- Walker Boone — Mario
- Tony Rosato — Luigi
- Tracey Moore — Princess Toadstool, First Lady
- John Stocker — Toad, Koopa Troopa, Fire Brother #1, Boomerang Brother #2
- Harvey Atkin — King Bowser Koopa, Fire Brother #2, Boomerang Brother #1, Koopa Troopa #2
- Gordon Masten — Big Mouth Koopa, Singer #1
- Dan Hennessey — Singer #2
- Paulina Gillis — Kootie Pie Koopa, Female singer
- Stuart Stone — Koopa Troopa #3, Singer #3
Animation and continuity errors
- After Kootie Pie kicks her cake out the window, she whines but her mouth is closed.
- When the camera is zoomed in on King Koopa, he appears to be on the left side of the castle.
- After King Koopa agrees to get Kootie America, his eyes go to the right in a few shots.
- When the camera is zoomed out, there are no pink ribbons on the banners. When the camera is zoomed in, however, they are visible.
- When the gang gets chomped by the Chain Chomps, they look frozen in place.
- At one point while the main characters are in prison, three Fire Brothers are seen.
- When Mario and the gang escape prison through a Warp Pipe, a Boomerang Bro is seen simply standing there.
- When Mario says that the White House needs a super drain, his mouth stops at the last word.
- When Mario is warping Kootie back to Kastle Koopa, her whole face is brown and her shell's rim is pink.
- When Luigi says "So you're not even boss of America anymore," his gloves are colored like his skin.
- After Mario takes the White House out of the water, Luigi says King Koopa is using the Doom Ship to attack London, Paris and Brooklyn, but since Brooklyn is in America, Kootie Pie had already effectively conquered it.
- Before Mario puts the White House right where it belongs, the Sledge Brother giving Kootie Pie an pedicure is orange, but in the close-up, it turns green. Additionally, when the camera zooms in on Kootie Pie, her whole face is brown.
- When Mario, Luigi, and Toad ask "You mean these things?", Toad's mouth does not move.
- As Mario and the gang watch Kastle Koopa shake, it is missing.
- Some of the people taking autographs and photos from Kootie Pie disappear and are replaced by different people. The clothes on some of them even change color.
- When Mario and Luigi are on the Doom Ship going against the Sledge Brothers, in one shot, Mario and Luigi can be seen in their regular clothes.
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Reptielen in de rozentuin||Reptiles in the Rose Garden|
|French||Serpents dans le jardin||Snakes in the garden|
|German||Die neue Präsidentin||The New President|
|Hungarian||Hüllők a rózsakertben||Reptiles in the Rose Garden|
|Italian||Rettili alla Casa Bianca||Reptiles at the White House|
|Polish||Gady w Ogrodzie Różanym||Reptiles in the Rose Garden|
|Portuguese||Répteis ameaçam a Casa Branca (Brazil - Herbert Richers dub)
Répteis na Casa Branca (Brazil - BKS dub)
Répteis no Jardim das Rosas (Brazil - Uniarthe dub)
|Reptiles threaten the White House|
Reptiles in the Rose Garden
|Romanian||Reptile în Grădina cu Trandafiri||Reptiles in the Rose Garden|
|Spanish||Reptiles en el Jardín de las Rosas||Reptiles in the Rose Garden|
- When Kootie Pie says: "I want it, I want it, I WANT IIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!", in the French dub, it is: "L'amérique, l'amérique, je veux l'avoir, et je l'aurai!". This is a reference to Joe Dassin's title song.
- The first German dub of the episode features a notable instance of harsh language in the franchise. In the scene where King Koopa announces to the Dark Land residents Kootie Pie's presents, Big Mouth refers to Kootie as a schlampe, a crude term referring to a sexually-promiscuous woman.
- In some areas, this episode aired alongside "Up, Up, and a Koopa" at least once due to technical difficulties with a Captain N: The Game Master episode.
- ^ KidsCo TV (January 28, 2018). Aventurile Fraților Super Mario | Episodul2 - Reptile în Grădina cu Trandafiri. YouTube. Retrieved May 19, 2019.