|The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 episode|
|Airdate||September 29, 1990 (English) |
September 13, 1991 (French)
|Opening curtain||Grass Land|
|Featured song||"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" (Cyndi Lauper)|
|<< List of episodes >>|
"Reign Storm" is the seventh episode of The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3. It aired alongside another episode of The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 entitled "Toddler Terrors of Time Travel." The episode before this episode is "Never Koop a Koopa." The episode name is a pun on "rainstorm."
Mario, Luigi, and a crownless Princess Toadstool are walking towards a Warp Pipe in the Mushroom Kingdom with a doctor. Princess Toadstool brings up the subject about how she should not leave her kingdom to go visit the real world, but Mario and Luigi argue that she needs to take a vacation, and that her doctor recommended that she go.
Toad, who is accompanying Princess Toadstool on her vacation, comes running up to the Warp Pipe wearing a bathing suit and carrying beach supplies. Toad announces that he cannot wait to go to Hawaii, but Princess Toadstool still has second thoughts. Just as Toad drags her down the pipe, Princess Toadstool tells Mario and Luigi to contact her if they have any trouble, but Mario gloats about how running the kingdom for her will not be hard.
Meanwhile, King Koopa, who had been spying on the heroes from behind a block with Kooky von Koopa, comments that running the kingdom is very hard for them, as the Koopa Troopas are going to take advantage of the fact that Princess Toadstool is gone. Kooky then gets an idea, which he tells King Koopa: he can build a robotic princess that takes over the Mushroom Kingdom while Princess Toadstool is gone. King Koopa likes the idea, and gives himself credit for it.
Shortly afterward, on the Hawaiian beach, Toad tells Princess Toadstool to stop worrying about her kingdom, and they go surfing. When a large wave throws the two of them back onto the beach, Princess Toadstool is helped up by a surfer, who introduces himself as Cutter, and offers to give her surfing lessons. Although he does not appreciate Cutter calling him weird, Toad figures that he will at least keep Princess Toadstool's mind off of her kingdom.
Back in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario and Luigi are trying to give a speech to the Mushroom People at the opening of a new dam. Koopa, however, quietly places a Bob-omb at the bottom of the dam. It then blows it up and destroys the dam, just as Mario promises everyone that their village is never going to be flooded again.
Later, at Toad's house, Mario and Luigi receive plenty of complaint letters. One states that the platform stairway to Sky Land keeps dropping people in the garbage dump, while another claims that the new Mushroom Shopping Mall is being haunted by Boo Diddlies. Luigi feels that they need to ask Princess Toadstool to come back, and after an angry mob of Mushroom People start banging on their door, Mario agrees to send her a Warp-o-gram message. However, Mario drops the note down a Warp Pipe, where it is eaten by a Nipper Plant.
The Nipper Plant then jumps out of the pipe and hops over to King Koopa to inform him that he intercepted and destroyed the Warp-o-gram message. Koopa then uses his magic wand to communicate with Kooky, who is in his laboratory, completing the Robot Princess that he just built. After Koopa yells at Kooky to hurry up, Kooky finishes his project, and assures his father that nobody could ever suspect that the Robot Princess is a fake.
Meanwhile, in Hawaii, Princess Toadstool and Cutter are having a great time swimming, windsailing, waterskiing, surfing and hangliding. Princess Toadstool is so relaxed, she tells Cutter that she never wants to go home.
Back in the Mushroom Kingdom, Kooky activates the Robot Princess, which heads over to Toad's House, announcing that she is back from her vacation. Although Mario is thrilled to see Princess Toadstool again, Luigi asks where Toad is, and the Robot Princess tells him that Toad's staying behind for another week. As Mario and Luigi go inside with the Robot Princess, Koopa gloats about how he will soon be in control of the Mushroom Kingdom.
Koopa then sends Kooky to Hawaii to keep an eye on Princess Toadstool, and make sure that she does not come back. Meanwhile, Mario and Luigi are startled to see that the Robot Princess ordered a new highway to be built out of quicksand, and to see the Mushroom Kingdom Fire Department extinguishing all Fire Flowers in the kingdom.
Mario decides that they need to have a word with Princess Toadstool. However, when they go to meet her at Toad's House, they find the Robot Princess hugging King Koopa, who has been invited over for tea. Mario asks why the Robot Princess is being nice to Koopa, and she responds by saying that she intends on giving "her" kingdom to him. The Robot Princess then fires Mario and Luigi, and tells them that they have one hour to leave the kingdom. Koopa makes it fifteen minutes, and tosses the Mario Brothers off of the lawn. Mario then concludes that Princess Toadstool is not herself anymore, and Luigi wonders what happened to her.
In Hawaii, Cutter notices that Princess Toadstool has gotten better at surfing, and encourages her to stay a few more weeks so that she can enter a surfing contest. Meanwhile, a girl asks her father why Toad has an umbrella on his head, and Toad tells her to "eat pineapple." The girl then asks why Kooky is hiding in the bushes, and her father assumes that Kooky is a rock star hiding from his fans. But Toad knows better, and tells Princess Toadstool.
Toad figures that if Kooky's in Hawaii, then the rest of the Koopas are up to no good back home. Princess Toadstool tells Cutter that she needs to get home, as her subjects may need her. Cutter does not know what she means by "subjects", and Princess Toadstool confesses to him that she is a princess. When Cutter hears Toad and Princess Toadstool mention the Mushroom Kingdom and drainpipes, he cannot believe what he is hearing. Princess Toadstool thanks Cutter for giving her such a good time, while Toad tells him not to tell their secret to anyone. Luckily for them, Cutter figures that nobody would ever believe him if he told them.
Meanwhile, at the Mushroom Castle, the Robot Princess is about to crown Koopa as King of the Mushroom Kingdom in front of a crowd of Mushroom People and the Koopalings. Mario, who is hiding behind a column with Luigi, wonders why the Robot Princess does not have a suntan.
Just as the Robot Princess says her final words, Princess Toadstool and Toad come out of a Warp Pipe near the castle, and blast a hole in the wall with water from another pipe. Princess Toadstool and Toad surf into the castle on the wave they created, and Princess Toadstool uses a harpoon to reclaim her crown off of King Koopa's head.
Kooky then comes flying out of the Warp Pipe that Princess Toadstool and Toad came through to warn his father and also destroying the Robot Princess in the process, but is too late. King Koopa and the Koopalings realize that their plan is futile now, and they escape by running out of a window. Mario points out that taking a vacation in Hawaii was useful for Princess Toadstool, because it was there that she learned how to surf. Luigi comments that Koopa's the one who is going to need a rest. Mario and Luigi then welcome Princess Toadstool back home.
- Walker Boone — Mario, Man #1
- Tony Rosato — Luigi
- John Stocker — Toad, Man #2
- Tracey Moore — Princess Toadstool, Lady, Robot Princess
- Harvey Atkin — King Koopa, Dad
- Jonathan Potts — Cutter
- James Rankin — Cheasty Koopa
- Michael Stark — Kooky von Koopa
- Dan Hennessey — Bully Koopa
- Paulina Gillis — Girl
Animation and continuity errors
- Kooky can be seen at King Koopa's crowning, even though he is still supposed to be in Hawaii.
- Cheatsy's voice can be heard during King Koopa's crowning when the Koopalings are cheering for Koopa, although he cannot be seen (he says "Yay, bad King Dad!").
- Despite the Robot Princess giving King Koopa her crown, when the real Princess returns, King Koopa is seen wearing his normal crown while the Robot Princess has hers.
- When King Koopa and Kooky are eavesdropping on Mario and Luigi near the pipe, Mario does not have feet.
- Also, in the same scene, the Warp Pipe leading to the real world is more of a reddish color than in the other scenes.
- King Koopa's shell border repeatedly flashes throughout the episode.
- When Cutter helps the princess up, her white shoes disappear. She is also barefoot when she jumps off her surfboard right before she decides to stay for another week.
- When Kooky reaches Princess Toadstool's Castle, Kootie Pie's head is completely brown.
- In that same shot, Hop's hair is incorrectly colored pink and has a hunchback in his body posture.
- In the next shot of the Koopalings, Hip and Hop (now normal) have switched positions, and the Robot Princess is missing.
- In that same shot, Hop's hair is incorrectly colored pink and has a hunchback in his body posture.
- After King Koopa puts the Bob-omb at the bottom of the dam underwater, it quickly chucks, but suddenly rises.
- In the same scene, when King Koopa said "This'll make you popular now," his mouth is not moving.
- When the Nipper Plant eats the letter for Princess Toadstool, it has sharp teeth, however, when it is talking to King Koopa, it has more and square teeth.
- The Warp-o-Gram was supposed to take the letter to the real world, however, the Nipper Plant is taken to another area of the Mushroom Kingdom.
- While Kooky is making the Robot Princess, the screw cleft in the brooch of the dress is not present.
- When King Koopa is rushing Mario and Luigi to leave the Mushroom Kingdom, one of his shell's spike rings has the same color as the shell's border.
- As Kooky reveals his plan to King Koopa while hiding behind the bushes, King Koopa temporarily freezes while the screen is zoomed-in.
- When Toad realizes Kooky is sneaking behind the bushes, his purple shoes are off and his feet are shown, which have three toes instead of four. Later, his purple shoes are back on, and they have toes.
- When Princess Toadstool reveals she is a princess to Cutter, his board is guava-red instead of pink.
- When Toad turns the faucet on, he is behind it.
- In the Italian version, the lyrics of the first part of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" are removed, but not in the second part.
- When Kooky and King Koopa escape out the window, only Cheatsy, Bully and Bigmouth follow them. Meanwhile, Bigmouth's head is brown and Bully's head is orange along with his diminished size.
- Though as the Koopas (Bully, Big Mouth, Kooky, Cheatsy, and King Koopa) dart away from the castle, a blue-eyed pink-haired Hop is shown escaping with them despite never shown jumping out the window.
- Despite landing on the entanglement of kelp, Toad is fully enveloped in the seaweed in the next shot.
- Princess Toadstool's skin complexion changes from peach to tan throughout the episode.
- When Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and the doctor are walking, the top of Princess Toadstool's dress is the same color as the bottom.
- When Mario grabs Toad, his pants are red, but when Toad is on the Warp Pipe, his pants are green.
- When Princess Toadstool tells Mario and Luigi to call her if anything goes wrong, Toad's surfboard flashed.
- When Princess Toadstool uses the harpoon to reclaim her crown, Toad is seen in his normal clothes.
Names in other languages
|French||Le règne de la tempête||Reign of the Storm|
|German||Die falsche Prinzessin||The Fake Princess|
|Italian||Vacanze hawayane||Hawaiian Holiday|
|Portuguese||Tempestade no Reino||Storm in the Kingdom|
|Spanish||Reinado tormentoso (Latin America and Spain re-dub)
Tormenta reinante (Spain)
|Stormy reign (Latin America and Spain re-dub)|
Reignant storm (Spain)
- May 20, 2015. "Reign Storm", dubbed in Romanian by KidsCo. Odnoklassniki (OK.ru). Retrieved January 4, 2016.