- This article is about the stat from the Super Mario RPG titles. For the Donkey Kong Country TV episode of the same name, see Speed (episode). For the New Super Mario Bros. minigame, see Speed (minigame).
- "SPD" redirects here. For information about Nintendo SPD, a development division at Nintendo, see Nintendo Software Planning & Development.
- “SPEED shows a character's quickness. The bigger that number is, the sooner a character can act in battle.”
- —Guide, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Speed, occasionally shortened to SPD, is an ability which appears in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, as well as the Mario & Luigi series. It is the stat that increases the character's ability to attack first. The party members as well as enemies, all have a Speed stat. In battle, the character or enemy with the highest Speed attacks first, followed by the others in decreasing order. In the Mario and Luigi series, Speed is increased when leveling up and can be given a boost with the Bonus Wheel. In Super Mario RPG, Speed can only be increased by wearing certain armor and accessories. In Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, the Blue Pepper can briefly increase speed. In Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey, Speed Beans can boost the desired character's speed permanently by one and Speed Bean DXs can boost it by three.
Speed also exists in the Mario Kart games; determining how fast a vehicle can go when it reaches top speed. This is different from acceleration, which determines how quickly it takes to reach top speed (for example, the Flame Flyer starts off slow but is fast when it reaches maximum speed, while the Quacker gets to speed almost immediately but is much slower overall). Speed also affects the handling of the vehicle (for example, the Sneakster is fast but has poor handling, while the Bit Bike has good handling but is slow). Examples of fast vehicles with low acceleration and handling in Mario Kart include the Jetsetter, the Sprinter, and the Spear, which are the fastest vehicles in Mario Kart Wii, but have the worst handling, off-road, and mini-turbo in their size classes.
Names in other languages
|French||VIT||Abbreviation for vitesse, the French word for "speed".|
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story stats
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey stats
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team stats
- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam stats
- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time stats
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga stats
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions stats
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars stats