Miles Tones's sprite in-between versions
|First appearance||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003)|
|Latest appearance||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (2017)|
- “Ohoho... Welcome! Care to show me...your Records? Yeah. It'll be great.”
- —Miles Tones, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Miles Tones is a minor, supporting character who appears in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and its remake. Though he operates the Information Booth in Beanbean Castle Town in both versions, his role itself varies depending on the game. His name is a play on the word "milestones", alluding to his function in the latter installment.
In the original, his name is not specified, and his purpose is to sell information to Mario and Luigi for 100 coins, normally indicating where to go or what to do next to complete the current objective of the main story. Near the end of the game, when Mario and Luigi are ready to travel to Bowser's Castle, the Information Booth no longer has any information left to give.
In the remake, his name is revealed by another Beanish character at the Beanbean International Airport, who plans to photograph Princess Peach upon her arrival from the Mushroom Kingdom and sell it to Miles Tones, whom he refers to as the town story collector. In this game, Miles Tones can be located in the same place, though now rewards Mario and Luigi in exchange for information about their accomplishments thus far, viewing their Records to do so. Requirements include fighting a certain number of battles, defeating a certain number of enemies, performing a certain number of Excellent attacks, dodging a certain number of enemy attacks and uncovering a certain percentage of beans and blocks in the game, whereas rewards include items, recordings and gear. Once all of these achievements have been completed, Miles Tones reveals he is leaving his shop and thanks the duo for the information they have shared with him. He declines to reveal where he plans to go, and is not seen again for the remainder of the game.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- "Muh huh huh huh huh huh!"
- "Welcome... Despite appearances, this is most definitely a shop."
- "The product we deal in is information."
- "So, would you like some quality information for only 100 coins?"
- "How about it?"
- "Then I'll just take your coins."
- "Southeast of town is dear old Woohoo Hooniversity, the center for laughter research."
- "Everyone says Cackletta went there after stealing the Beanstar."
- "Muh huh huh... Huge news, baby! Hot off the press!"
- "The Mushroom Kingdom's Princess Peach is coming to visit this country!"
- "She's set to arrive shortly at Beanbean International Airport. You know, just south of town!"
- "From what I hear, the Hammerhead Bros. from Hoohoo Mountain recently moved in near here."
- "Apparently they were moving all sorts of luggage into a cave east of town!"
- "Princess Peach is going to visit Little Fungitown!"
- "Once she's prepared, she's going to depart from the entrance to Teehee Valley!"
- "One of the four Beanstar pieces fell onto this mysterious ship somewhere in Teehee Valley!"
- "One of the four Beanstar pieces fell south of town into Harhall's Studio. Or so people say..."
- "Of course, the only way to get to Harhall's Studio is to push that Boo statue..."
- "That's all the info I have."
- "If you ever find yourself at a loss, drop by. We'll always have fresh, tasty information waiting for you..."
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
- "Hm? Why do I want to see 'em?"
- "Well, ya know, going the extra mile...being an especially super superstar..."
- "That kinda behavior makes me happy. Ya dig?"
- "Oh, and naturally, I'll give a nice reward for your efforts."
- "Provided the story you spin is good enough, that is..."
- "Go on. Show me...your Records?"
- "Ohoho... That's quite a story you're cookin' up!"
- "Thanks, friend! Here's your reward. Go on, take it! It's all yours!"
- "Spin me a good yarn when next we meet..."
- "Sorry, but this story leaves much to be desired."
- "Try to beef up your records a bit. Do that, and then come back!"
- "Listen up... I've got somethin' to say."
- "Sorry to spring this on ya, but I'm closin' up shop."
- "Why, you ask? To be honest... I'm too happy to stay put!"
- "Ohoho... Yes, you spun me some mighty fine yarns, my friends."
- "Thank you for everything... You truly are superstars!"
- "Now it's time for me to leave this place and seek out the next great story..."
- "Where will I go? Ohoho! Sorry. Can't say."
- "I'll probably never see you again...but I'm always in your corner. Ya dig?"
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Wil Weetjes||Pun on "Will" (English male given name) and "wil" (want), combined with "weetjes" (facts)|
|Italian||Saputello della città||Town's know-it-all|
- Miles Tones is unnamed in the Japanese version of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, with the Beanish character who mentions his name in the English version simply remarking that he plans to sell the photo to the Information Booth instead.
- "All the rumors around town suggest a huuuuuuge VIP celebrity is coming from the Mushroom Kingdom. I'm gonna get photographic evidence and sell it for big bucks to the town story collector, Miles Tones! Great plan, huh?" -Beanish, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
- "Scatterò delle foto e le venderò a peso d'oro al saputello della città!" -Beanish, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Scagnozzi di Bowser