Tolstar's sprite from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions.
|First appearance||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003)|
|Latest appearance||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (2017)|
- “Nyeck nyeck! You're not in the Mushroom Kingdom anymore! Outsiders begone!”
- —Tolstar, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Tolstar, the king of Stardust Fields, is a large Spike who appears in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and its 3DS remake. His name is a portmanteau of "toll" and "star", as he adorns star motifs and he forces people (such as Mario and Luigi) to pay a toll to get across the border in Stardust Fields. He is the first true major boss in the game.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga / Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
When Bowser is stuck in his cannon in Stardust Fields during the events of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Tolstar charges the brothers all their Coins to get Bowser out the cannon and keep the incident a secret. Mario offers the coins, but they are all Mushroom Kingdom coins, and they are worth much less in the Beanbean Kingdom. The total amount of Mushroom Kingdom coins will always total 10 Beanbean coins, regardless of how many the player has. Tolstar then demands an additional 100 Beanbean coins, and the brothers must search Stardust Fields for them, either by defeating enemies or from ? Blocks. Upon collecting them, however, Tolstar still refuses to set Bowser free and attacks Mario and Luigi and their battle begins.
After defeating him, the Bros. are about to free Bowser, but Sergeant Starshade, annoyed with the Koopa King's complaints, shoots him out of the cannon (causing him to crash through the unconscious Tolstar) into parts unknown. The brothers advance to Hoohoo Village, where they are accused of kidnapping Prince Peasley by the Beanbean troops. However, a beat-up Tolstar flies over (using the miniature wings on his shoulders) to inform the guards that the two are Mario and Luigi, that they are tough, and that they did not kidnap the Prince. He is never seen again after that.
Tolstar reappears in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions with the exact same role as the original game, but with different statistics. He also drops the Cosmic Pants when defeated.
In battle, Tolstar attacks by throwing spiked balls at Mario or Luigi, and he even gives a hint by saying that remembering which hand he throws it. Tolstar sometimes laughs before tossing a spiked ball; this means that the ball bounces over the brother. If said brother jumps while the ball is thrown, they will take damage. Unlike Spikes, the spike balls Tolstar throws just appear in his hands.
Tolstar is a large, light-green Spike with a yellow belly, orange lips, pink hair, and small bat-like wings that are capable of helping him fly, unlike regular Spikes. He also has a big pink star on his belly and a small yellow one on his forehead. Also, when he becomes angry, he develops a hot pink blush on his cheeks which is only shown in the original game.
Tolstar is a bully, which is shown when he is taunting Bowser for being stuck in his cannon, causing the latter to cry in embarrassment. He is also shown to be very greedy when he tells Mario and Luigi that he will only help Bowser out for 100 coins and when he declined their Mushroom Kingdom coins, and also a swindler when he still refuses to help Bowser after taking the Mario Bros.' coins. He seems to dislike anyone who lives outside the Beanbean Kingdom when he tells the Bros. "outsiders begone" and starts to attack them. However, after Mario and Luigi defeats Tolstar, he seems to respect them when he tells the Beanbean troops that they are innocent (and really tough).
Tolstar also has his own laugh, much like Cackletta, Fawful, Prince Peasley and Queen Bean.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
|Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga enemy|
|Stat down?||30%||Stun?||30%||Burn?||30%||Hand||Normal||Item drop||1-Up Mushroom – 100%|
None – 0%
|Level 4||Location(s)||Stardust Fields||Notice||
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
|Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions enemy|
|Stat down:||30%||Dizzy:||30%||Burn:||30%||Speed down:||30%||Item drop:||None (0%)|
Cosmic Pants (100%)
Cosmic Pants (100%)
|Level: 4||Location(s):||Stardust Fields|
- "Nyeck nyeck nyeck!!!"
- "Nyeck nyeck nyeck!!! Why, could it be Bowser, the great Koopa King, has fallen into my cannon?!? Nyeck! How amusing!"
- "Nyeck nyeck nyeeeck! I am Tolstar, the great and famed king of Stardust Fields! I've heard tales of you, but you aren't very impressive in person! Nyeeeck nyeck nyeck!"
- "Nyeck nyeck! If you want me to get him out of there, little people, you must pay in coins! I will set him free... for ALL of your coins!!! And I'll even keep this most embarrassing incident a secret!"
- "Pardon me? I'm not sure I heard you correctly just now! You'll give me all [x] of your coins?"
- "Nyeck nyeck nyeeeck! Why, these are Mushroom Kingdom coins, aren't they? This is the BEANBEAN Kingdom! ...I suppose I'll have to calculate their value in local currency!"
- "Let's see... At today's exchange rate...[x] Mushroom coins...are worth 10 Beanbean coins! Well, sorry, but for only 10 coins I can't guarantee this secret won't slip out! Nyeck nyeck!"
- "...Yes, that means I'll need an additional 100 Beanbean coins!!! Go find them in Stardust Fields and bring them back to me! Then I'll help your Koopa King!"
- "Uh...nyeck? Let's see here... You now have [x] coins..."
- "Nyeck! Took you long enough! But well done! I'll just be taking those coins now!"
- "Huh? You want out? You want me to help you? Who said I'd do that?"
- "Nyeck nyeck! You're not in the Mushroom Kingdom anymore! Outsiders begone!"
- "Nyeck nyeck! Isn't that a nasty attack? Even watching my hand I throw with won't help you!"
- "Hmph! Not bad. Not bad at all! But how about THIS!?!"
- "Nyeh... Nyeck nyehhh... They're not lying..."
- "They say they've come here chasing someone called Cackletta... And they are really, really tough..."
Names in other languages
|A corruption of「星」(hoshi, star) and/or「欲しい」(hoshii, to want something)|
|French||Sterex||Pun on "stéllaire" (cosmic) and "rex" (Latin for "king")|
|German||Stella||Latin word for "star"|
|Italian||Magastro||Pun on "mago" (wizard) and "astro" (star)|
|From a repetition of "별" (byeol, star) and possibly "이" (-i, Korean diminutive suffix)|
|Spanish (NOA)||Malastro||From "malvado" (evil) and "astro" (star)|
|Spanish (NOE)||Hossy||From the Japanese name|
- In the original game, Tolstar's talking voice changes to a more gruff voice during the battle, while in the overworld, he has a high-pitched talking voice.
|Characters||Grubba • Macho Grubba • Paper Macho Spike Outlaw • Tolstar • Tubba Blubba • Tubba's Heart|
|Species||Clubba • Dark Clubba • Mad Spike • Mega Spike • Mega Stone Spike • Paper Macho Stone Spike • Paper Spike • Snow Spike • Spike • Stone Spike • White Clubba|