The many varieties of Winkle in both games.
|First appearance||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003)|
|Latest appearance||Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (2017)|
Winkles are snail creatures that appear in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and its remake, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. They live in Chucklehuck Woods and run Winkle Colosseum, a stadium requiring 500 Beanbean coins to participate. Inside, Mario and Luigi need to play a minigame, known as "Chuckola Bounce", in order to progress. After gaining 20 points or higher when playing the minigame for the first time, they are awarded the Winkle Card, which is used to get past the Winkle guard and access Winkle Realm, where a piece of the broken Beanstar is. In that specific area of the woods, there is even a Winkle statue, which holds the Beanstar piece the brothers are looking for.
In Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, Winkles reappear with the same role as they had in the original game, though the Winkle that explains the Chuckola Bounce minigame and acts as a timer is replaced by an orange Winkle.
- "Winkle Realm lies ahead. Outsiders not allowed to pass through."
- "This is Winkle Colosseum. Surviving it is hard."
- "Enter Winkle Colosseum and win... ...and Winkles acknowledge you.."
- "Next time, we enter."
- "We two will win."
- "Winkle Colosseum ahead. Reception. Pay coins. Open door..."
- "This is Winkle Colosseum reception. Are you up to the challenge?"
- "Entrance fee is 500 coins. Pay 500 coins and the rest is free... 500 coins..."
- "You go learn the secrets of Winkle Colosseum."
- "Welcome to Winkle Colosseum. Ready to play Chuckola Bounce?"
- "Winkle Colosseum is a fun place. Try to beat as many Chuckoroks as you can within the time limit."
- "Hit a Chuckola Rock with your Chuckola Bounce and it will change color. Hit the Chuckorocks with these rocks to destroy them."
- "This is a Barrier Mushroom. Chuckorocks sometimes spit these out. Get one of these to get wrapped in a barrier. You can't take these from the Colosseum."
- "So, how many Chuckorocks can you beat before I get to the other side? You will need luck."
- "Oh! Incredible! You did it! The high score is yours!"
- "You are champion. Take this. The Winkles acknowledge you."
- "That is the Winkle Card. You are the Colosseum champions. Winkles acknowledge you."
Names in other languages
|German||Krieche||From "kriechen" (to creep)|
|Italian||Tribù delle Lumache
Tribù dei Lumaconi (only in the description of the Winkle Card)
|Snail Tribe; from "달팽이" (dalpaeng-i, snail)|
- The speech style of the Whittles is similar to Winkles, as both of the species often speak in simple yet incorrect grammar.