Airway (Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story)
The Airway is the final area of Bowser's body that Mario and Luigi explore in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and its 3DS remake, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey. It is unlocked when the Pump Works is completed. It is apparently located in Bowser's lungs and trachea. This area houses all of Bowser's DNA and is the place where the Dark Star is fought. In order to progress through the Airway, Bowser must inhale a stream of ice from (the now-frozen) Blizzard Midbus's snout, which freezes the entire area, and the player must alternate between two temperature states to reach the end of the area. The player also needs to make use of Liftoglobins to traverse through the area, and must complete a timed minigame hosted by the Totemglobin.
As the Mario Bros. travel through the Airway, the Dark Star slowly progresses through and takes in Bowser's DNA as it goes through. First, it acquires his fist to punch, then his flame breath (with a different flame color), and finally his shell to ground pound, using them to escape the intended traps in the area. When the brothers finally reach and corner the Dark Star in a specific area, it already has absorbed enough of Bowser's DNA to turn into a dark copy of him, albeit in a incomplete, ghostly form due to its power being drained by Fawful earlier, and escapes Bowser's body after fighting Mario and Luigi.
- Air Cheep
- Air Cannon
- Dark Star (boss)
- Dark Satellmite (appears during the boss battle)
Here is a list of overworld items found in the Airway in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. The fourth scene from the start is a hub, and so is the one to the right of it, which will be denoted 0. The scene to the right of scene 0 will be denoted 0R and the one to the upper of it will be denoted 0U.
|Ultra Mushroom||x2||In a ? Block in the fourth scene from the start.|
|x2||In a ? Block one scene to the right and then one scene lower from the fourth from start.|
|1-Up Deluxe||In a ? Block in the third scene from the start.|
|In a ? Block six scenes to the left of the fourth from start.|
|In a ? Block two scenes to the right of the fourth from start.|
|In a ? Block in the scene above scene 0R.|
|In a ? Block two scenes beyond scene 0U.|
|Ultra Nut||x2||In a ? Block four scenes to the left of the fourth from start.|
|Max Nut||In a ? Block in the scene above scene 0R.|
|In a ? Block two scenes beyond scene 0U.|
|Supersyrup Jar||x2||In a ? Block one scene to the left of the fourth from start.|
|In a ? Block in the scene to the right of scene 0R.|
|x2||In a ? Block two scenes beyond scene 0U.|
|Star Candy||In a ? Block in the scene above scene 0R.|
|Retry Clock||In a ? Block one scene to the left of the fourth from start.|
|In a ? Block in the scene above scene 0U.|
|King Wear||In a ? Block five scenes to the left of the fourth from start.|
|Guardian Socks||In a ? Block six scenes to the left of the fourth from start.|
|Rugged Socks||In a ? Block in scene 0U.|
|Star Wear||In a ? Block two scenes beyond scene 0U.|
There are 8 beans in total in this area.
- Area with bouncing platforms in the lower area of the map: <Heart Bean x1, Special Bean x1>
- Timed challenge area in the eastern area of the map: <Heart Beans x2, Special Bean x1, Power Bean x1>
- By the left water spout in the room above 0U: <Special Beans x2>
Names in other languages
|French (NOE)||Voies respiratoires||Respiratory tracts|
|Italian||Cavità Ventosa||Windy Cavity|
|Spanish (NOA)||Via Respiratoria||Respiratory Track (also means "airway")|
|Spanish (NOE)||Sala Alientofresco||Freshbreath Room|
- If the player saves while the Dark Star is in the Airway, the last sentence in the save message says that the Airway is called the Air Space, the Japanese name for the Airway. This was corrected in the remake, where the save message's last sentence now calls the Airway by its English name.
- This is the only large area in Bowser's body without Attack Pieces.
- Dreamy Mount Pajamaja, an area from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, features a similar concept to the Airway. In said area, the player has to freeze and thaw out geysers to advance.
- abcd9146 (December 30, 2009). Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story FAQ/Walkthrough. GameFAQs. Retrieved June 10, 2016.