The guide, known as the guide character in Mario Party 4, is a character that hosts a Mario Party game. Which character the guide is depends on the game being played. The guide has many different roles, including telling players the game mode they are playing, hosting the party, giving out Stars, and telling beginners how to play. The guide in one game is rarely the guide in another game. Some games even have multiple guides, depending on what game mode is being played and which board is being played on.
List of guides
- Toad and Koopa (Mario Party)
- Toad and several Koopa Kids (Mario Party 2)
- Tumble and the Millennium Star (Mario Party 3)
- Toad, Shy Guy, Goomba, Boo, Koopa Troopa, and Koopa Kid (Mario Party 4)
- The Star Spirits (Mario Party 5)
- Twila and Brighton (Mario Party 6)
- Tumble, Toad, Professor E. Gadd, and Toadette (Mario Party Advance)
- Toadsworth (Mario Party 7)
- MC Ballyhoo and Big Top (Mario Party 8)
- Yellow Toad (Mario Party 9)
- Yellow Toad (Mario Party: Island Tour)
- Blue Toad (Mario Party 10)
- Toad and Toadette (Mario Party: The Top 100)
- Toad, Toadette, and Kamek (Super Mario Party)
- Koopa and Toad (Mario Party Superstars)
Mario Party DS and Mario Party: Star Rush do not have a guide; instead, information about the party is communicated only through a text display. Although Bowser is shown to be the host of some of his boards, he is not considered a guide.
- "Welcome, everybody! I am your guide, Koopa Troopa." – Koopa Troopa, Mario Party
- "Guide Messages" setting in Party Mode in Mario Party 9
- "I guess it's up to me to be your guide!" – Toad, when the player plays Mario Party for the first time in Mario Party Superstars
- Mario Party 4 North American instruction booklet, pages 39 and 42.