Last Five Turns Event
- “We're down to the last five turns! Let's take a look at the current standings.”
- —Toad, Mario Party Superstars
The Last Five Turns Event is an event from the Mario Party series that takes place when there are only five turns left in the board game (four in Mario Party 7 due to Bowser Time). Every Mario Party game has had some form of this event, except for Mario Party Advance and Mario Party: Island Tour, although the latter has a similar unnamed event that occurs on the boards.
The event made its debut in the original Mario Party, which Koopa Troopa talks to the players playing the game to announce the current standings, then predicts who he thinks the Superstar will be at the end of the game. The prediction is chosen randomly; it is not influenced by the players' current stats and has no effect on the outcome of the game. Then, for the rest of the game, both Blue Spaces and Red Spaces are worth twice the normal number of coins when landed on (players will gain or lose 6 coins), and Koopa gives twenty coins to players who pass him.
Mario Party 2
In Mario Party 2, the event is hosted by Toad (and Baby Bowser in Bowser Land), who first gives the current standings then introduce a character to predict the Superstar. Usually, a green or red-shelled Koopa Troopa predicts it, but sometimes Whomp makes the prediction (who will always choose Mario) if Mario is competing. However, it is always Bowser who makes the prediction (who will always choose the player who currently is in last place) in Bowser Land. The predicted player is given ten coins from the predictor. From that point onward, Blue and Red Spaces' value are doubled again, and players that land on the same space as another player play a Duel Minigame with that player before activating the space.
Mario Party 3
In Mario Party 3, the event is the same as the last game, but it is usually the Millennium Star who predicts who the Superstar is, giving them ten coins. Sometimes, Baby Bowser hosts the event and lets Bowser predict who the loser is. The predicted player ends up losing ten coins to Bowser. If Mario is one of the playable characters on the board, there is a chance Whomp will appear and award him 10 coins. Afterwards, Blue and Red Spaces' value are doubled once more, and players that land on the same space as another player play a Duel Minigame with that player before activating the space, as in the last installment.
Mario Party 4
In Mario Party 4, there are new changes to the event. Here, the board's host does a lottery if at least one player manages to get a Lucky Party Ticket from the Lottery Shop earlier in the game. The host spins a wheel showing all four players' faces. If a player's ticket matches all three faces shown from the wheel in order from left to right, they receive a Star. After that, the standings are given, then the host lets the player in last place spin a special roulette. Then, for the rest of the game, the board has one of these four new rules. However, only three of those rules will appear in the roulette, with the Coin Multiplier always being one of those rules:
- Coin Multiplier: Blue and Red spaces are worth double coins (an event from the previous three installments in the Mario Party series).
- All Red Spaces become Bowser Spaces.
- All Red Spaces become Fortune Spaces.
- Star Present: The price of Stars changes from 20 coins to being absolutely free.
Since Mario Party 4, if more than one player/team is in last place, the player/team in the bottom of the standings will be the one to spin a roulette. Also, due to the lack of proper Duel Minigames in Mario Party 4, Duel Minigames will not occur when a player lands on the same space as another player.
Mario Party 5
In Mario Party 5, Bowser hosts the event. He first gives the current standings as usual, then brings the player in last place to him to spin a roulette. Depending on the result, the board will have one of four new rules for the rest of the game:
- Plus and Minus Spaces are worth triple coins (and players either get or lose 9 coins), a strengthened version of the old rule from the previous four installments.
- All Minus Spaces become Bowser Spaces (returning from the previous installment).
- All Plus Spaces and Minus Spaces become Capsule Spaces; existing Capsule Spaces are overridden.
- Five Star Spaces are on the board at all times.
Eldstar then shows concern over which new rule will be added.
Also, like in previous games, when a player lands on the same space as another player during the last five turns, a duel minigame is initiated.
In Story Mode, Bowser doubles the coins earned in duel battles (from Duel Spaces). If the player passes Koopa Kid, they will lose 10 coins if they lose the minigame; however, if Koopa Kid loses, he will lose 30 coins. If Koopa Kid passes the player, they will lose 20 coins if they lose the minigame, but if Koopa Kid loses, he will lose 10 coins.
Mario Party 6
In Mario Party 6, the event is hosted by Brighton during the day and by Twila at night. Whoever is hosting it gives the current standings, then lets the player in last place spin a bonus wheel, giving them one of the following:
- Blue and Red Spaces are worth triple the number of coins (so characters gain or lose 9 coins), as well as gaining 15 coins when landing on their own Character Spaces.
- Receive 40 coins.
- Have five of their Character Spaces added to the board.
- Bowser Revolution: Bowser comes to take everyone's Coins and splits them evenly among all the players.
There are only cosmetic differences between Brighton's and Twila's hosting of this event.
As with the last game, if both players land on the same space, then it will trigger a Duel Minigame.
Mario Party 7
In Mario Party 7, this event is called the Last Four Turns Event, since the Bowser Time event occurs every five turns. Bowser also hosts this event, but makes Koopa Kid give the current standings (in reverse order, however). Bowser summons the player or team in last place to spin his roulette wheel and obtain one of the following bonuses or rule changes:
- Landing on Blue and Red Spaces gives and takes triple the number of coins respectively (as well as landing on one's own Character Spaces).
- The player (or team) receives 40 coins.
- The price of Stars is halved (for Grand Canal and Bowser's Enchanted Inferno! only).
- The price of riding Chain Chomps is halved (for Pyramid Park only).
- All Red Spaces become Bowser Spaces (cannot occur on Grand Canal, Pyramid Park, and Bowser's Enchanted Inferno!; there are no Bowser Spaces on Bowser's Enchanted Inferno! despite the fact that it is a Bowser board).
- Ten Koopa Kid Spaces are added on the board.
Like Mario Party 4, a Duel Minigame will no longer occur if a player lands on the same space as another player.
Mario Party 8
In Mario Party 8, this event is retooled and renamed Chump Charity, and is hosted by MC Ballyhoo. First, Ballyhoo gives out the current standings, as is commonplace with previous games. He then gives the player(s) or team in last place a piece of Duelo Candy. If the game is being played on Koopa's Tycoon Town, Ballyhoo gives the player(s) or team 30 coins instead. Then, his hat, Big Top, showers the entire board with coins, placing a coin bag on each Red Space and one coin on all other spaces unoccupied by players at the time.
In Duel Battle and Star Battle Arena, there is a very similar version of this event called Special Bonus. Here, MC gives out the standings, and the losing player uses the dart wheel to obtain a prize to try to catch up to the goal before their opponent does.
The prizes for each board are as follows:
- DK's Treetop Temple - Thrice Candy, Springo Candy, or nothing
- Goomba's Booty Boardwalk - Vampire Candy, 20 coins, or nothing
- King Boo's Haunted Hideaway - Thrice Candy, Springo Candy, or nothing
- Shy Guy's Perplex Express - Bowlo Candy, 20 coins, or nothing
- Koopa's Tycoon Town - Bitsize Candy, 30 coins, or nothing
- Bowser's Warped Orbit - Bullet Candy, Bowser Candy, or nothing
Mario Party DS
In Mario Party DS, the Last Five Turns Event is renamed Final 5 Frenzy. In it, Bowser gives out the current standings as usual and gives the losing player a bonus, chosen by a wheel. All Friend Spaces are also changed into Duel Spaces.
Possible Prizes presented in the Final 5 Frenzy:
- Get 20 Coins
- Get 30 Coins (Toadette's Music Room and Kamek's Library only)
- Get 1 Star
- Get 10 Coins From Others
- Stars for 5 Coins (for Wiggler's Garden, DK's Stone Statue, and Bowser's Pinball Machine only)
- Get 100 Stars
- Get 300 Stars
The yellow prizes at the bottom of the wheel can never be awarded — if the wheel lands on a yellow prize, the wheel will suddenly turn to a different prize.
If multiple players are tied for last place, or if everybody is tied for first place, Bowser will randomly choose one of them to spin the roulette.
Mario Party 10
In Mario Party 10, a variation of the event appears in amiibo Party, specifically after the minigame set before the eighth turn. When it happens, the standings are shown, then the person in last place gets a coin bonus. Afterwards, players can also pay 40 coins to get two Stars (or possibly 20, 30, or 50 if played on the Toad Board or at least if the top left corner is the Toad Board), and when landing on a Blue Space or a Red Space, players earn or pay 6 coins.
Mario Party: Star Rush
In Mario Party: Star Rush, this event, called The Last Hurrah, appears in Toad Scramble and Balloon Bash. In Toad Scramble, it occurs when the final boss appears, while in Balloon Bash, it occurs in the last three turns, like in the amiibo Party of Mario Party 10. The player in last place is given a choice between four cards, which may grant them an item (or an Ally in Toad Scramble).
Super Mario Party
For Super Mario Party, the event takes place during the last three turns. First, the current standings are shown and Toad gives an assessment. A guest character, either the board's unique event character or Lakitu, will enter and pick a character whom they think will win, usually the one ranked lowest. That character will then receive an item. Blue and Red Spaces will have their coin output increased to six in most boards, and ten in Kamek's Tantalizing Tower. Lastly, Kamek will turn the Bad Luck Spaces into Extra Bad Luck Spaces that have harsher penalties.
In Partner Party mode, the events are slightly different. The standings, assessment, prediction, and item reward are the same as Mario Party mode. After the item has been distributed, the number of Stars that can be purchased at a time will increase from one to two, or two to three on Tantalizing Tower Toys. After Kamek changes the Bad Luck Spaces, an additional five allies will be distributed across the board for players to pick up.
Mario Party Superstars
In Mario Party Superstars, the event works much like it does in the Nintendo 64 installments, with the value of Blue and Red Spaces being doubled, players dueling whenever they land on the same space, and a winner being predicted after the current standings are announced. The predicted winner will receive a random item, such as a Warp Block, Super Warp Block, Plunder Chest, Boo Bell, or Golden Pipe. They also have a chance of receiving 10 or 20 coins. If the board has Koopa Banks, they will make players who pass them pay five coins instead of three. Additionally, if the board's background music is set to "Modern" in the Option House, a unique "homestretch" variant of that board's music will play during the last five turns.
The predictor is chosen from a small pool depending on the board:
- Yoshi's Tropical Island: Cheep Cheep or Urchin
- Space Land: Snifit or Whomp
- Peach's Birthday Cake: Lakitu or Goomba
- Woody Woods: Woody or Monty Mole
- Horror Land: Kamek (daytime) or King Boo (nighttime)
Mario Party 2
- Wii Virtual Console manual: "When you reach the last five turns of the game, Toad appears and announces the current standings, and someone will receive 10 coins. Also, the following rules are added."
- "Blue and Red Spaces are worth double. Gain or lose six coins."
- "When two players land on the same space, a duel minigame occurs."
Names in other languages
Zuìhòu Wǔ Huíhé
|Last Five Turns Event|
Zuìhòu Wǔ Huíhé
|Last Five Turns Event|
|French (NOA)||Pitié pour le Perdant (Mario Party 8)||Pity for the Loser|
|Spanish||Evento de las Últimas 5 Rondas (Mario Party 2-6)
Evento de las Últimas 4 Rondas (Mario Party 7)
Caridad para Bobos (Mario Party 8)
Frenesí Final 5 (Mario Party DS)
|Last 5 Turns Event|
Last 4 Turns Event
Charity for Fools
Final 5 Frenzy
- In the Mario Party 7 manual, it says 10 Blue or Red Spaces turn into Bowser Spaces in the Last Four Turns. This is most likely an error, as Blue and Red Spaces turn into Koopa Kid Spaces in-game.