- This article is about butterfly Wigglers. For the move used by Yoshi, see Flutter Jump. For the character from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, see Sergeant Flutter.
A Flutter from Mario Party: Island Tour
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Yoshi's Crafted World (2019)|
- “Wiggler ate till Wiggler's tummy was full, and now Wiggler grew up into Flutter!”
- —Flutter, Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Flutters (also called Flying Wigglers) are the winged imago of Wigglers that first appeared in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. When hit, they act like the normal Wiggler, getting enraged. Instead of flying around aimlessly, though, they charge straight for the Yoshi that hit them. In early games, they had light orange noses contrasting Wigglers' dark brown ones, though most recent appearances give both dark brown noses.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Flying Wigglers are only seen in the level GO! GO! MARIO!!. Just before the goal, a swarm of Flying Wigglers appear over a flat turf. They fly babyfootforward in a wavy manner. If attacked with an egg or a jump, they turn angry and charge towards Yoshi's current position, disappearing off-screen after a time. Flying Wigglers can cause Yoshi to drop Baby Mario off his back if they come into contact with him. Yoshi can defeat them with a Ground Pound or by eating and turning them into an egg. If spat out instead, they fly away. They can also be defeated by touching them as Superstar Mario.
A Flying Wiggler appears in Tetris Attack, which depicts it as a friend of Yoshi rather than an enemy. It replaces the jewel fairy, Ruby, from Panel de Pon. Flying Wiggler is playable in Time Trial mode, and can be fought and rescued on the Flower Stage in the main Vs. Com mode. In the SNES version, it is paired with the similarly-themed Eggo-Dil.
Yoshi's New Island
Flutters appear in Yoshi's New Island in the level Ride the Blarggwich, where they act slightly different from their original appearance. They simply fly up and down on a predetermined line, like red Koopa Paratroopas, and cannot be eaten, though some fly the same as their debut appearance near the end of the level. If angered however, they charge in Yoshi's direction. Their angry appearance has their original nose color, along with some other changes.
Yoshi's Crafted World
Flutters reappear in Yoshi's Crafted World during the level Weighing Acorns where they are seen flying above flower platforms and later on when Yoshi is on a bus ride. They are invincible and cannot be defeated by any means of attack. If Yoshi angers one, they swoop in his direction. Unlike previously, they will stop being angry after a few seconds. There is also a Flutter Sign craft that is found on the flip side of Spring Sprung Trail and serves as its local Blockafeller's first souvenir request.
Prior to Flutters' official introduction in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, one Wiggler in volume 6 of Super Mario-kun transforms into a moth-like form after Bowser and a Magikoopa replace the flower on its head with a Muncher. It otherwise looks very little like a Flutter, notably having its nose interpreted as a pair of pincers.
In volume 14 of Super Mario-kun, a Flutter gets infuriated after Mario plucks a flower off it.
Mario Party series
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6
Flutters reappear in Mario Party 6, as well as the Flutter Orb which retains the same affects.
Mario Party Advance
- “My problem is that I'm in love...”
- —Flutter, Mario Party Advance
A Flutter appears in Mario Party Advance, where she resides on the third floor of the Mushroom Condo. She is in love with Mr. I, but is also the crush of Petal Guy who seeks her affection. Petal Guy attempts to win her over with a lovely poem but is rejected in favor of Mr. I, who does not return Flutter's affections toward him.
Mario Party 7
Mario Party 8
Flutter also makes several cameos in Mario Party 8. It can be found in the minigames Specter Inspector as one of the hiding enemies (found in the piano), Moped Mayhem as a racer, and in the minigame contest Test for the Best, holding the 4,000 points sign.
Mario Party: Island Tour
Flutter appears in Mario Party: Island Tour for the Nintendo 3DS. On the Star-Crossed Skyway board, Flutter appears in the first, second, and last Star Stages. It gives out ten Mini Stars to the player who reaches it. It retains its updated nose from Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
Super Mario Party
Flutter appears in Super Mario Party as a non-playable character who owns the item shop. On Megafruit Paradise and its team-mode variant, Watermelon Walkabout, after passing Flutter's shop, the thermometer next to it rises a small amount every time. When it reaches the top, a giant scoop of ice cream falls and destroys Flutter's shop, and Flutter tells the player that they need to clean it up, making the shop unavailable to all the players for the rest of the game.[dead link]
Mario Power Tennis / New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Flutter makes its debut in the Paper Mario series in Paper Mario: Sticker Star as Wiggler's fully grown and true form. Flutter explains he became his form after eating a plentiful amount of leaves from the forest. Flutter will offer to fly Mario and Kersti out to Bowser's Sky Castle. He also refers to himself as "grown up". In this game it appears with the brown nose of a Wiggler rather than the usual pink nose. Though Wiggler/Flutter can no longer take Mario to the shipwreck in Whitecap Beach, a pipe appears that transports Mario to the southwestern area of the island.
Mario Golf: World Tour
Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
- Main article: Wiggler#Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
A Flutter makes an appearance in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. After the Wiggler boss battle, a seemingly-exhausted Wiggler, along with some Paragoombas, goes up into the sky, then returns as Flutter. Flutter takes this form for the rest of the game, and can take Mario, Luigi and Paper Mario between Gloomy Woods and Mount Brrr.
Flutters were originally going to appear in World-e of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, but were left unused likely due to the discontinuation of the e-Reader. They were to have the same behavior as in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
In Super Mario Odyssey, there is a location called the Forgotten Isle that is inhabited by Tropical Wigglers. There is a mission on this isle titled "A Butterfly's Treasure" that features a large, colorful butterfly. The Art of Super Mario Odyssey directly suggests that this butterfly is an adult form of the Tropical Wigglers.
Yoshi's Island series
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Shogakukan guide: スーパーマリオワールドでイモムシだったハナちゃんの成虫。頭を踏むとまっ赤になって怒るのは昔と同じ。 (The imago of Wiggler, who was a caterpillar in Super Mario World. It turns bright red and gets angry when you step on its head, just like in the old days.)
- Player's Guide: This near-sighted creature constantly mistakes Yoshi for a flower in bloom.
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- Shogakukan guide: ふだんはフワフワ飛んでいるだけだが、頭をふんだりタマゴを当てると真っ赤になっておそってくる。ジャムなら飲みこんでたおそう。 (Normally, they just fly around in the air, but if you step on their heads or hit them with an egg, they turn bright red and come at you. If it is a jam, swallow them and defeat them.)
Yoshi's New Island
- Shogakukan guide: 空中で上下に往復移動している。攻撃してくることはないが、舌やタマゴを当てると、怒って突進してくる。触れるとダメージを受けろので、避けて進もう。(They move back and forth in the air, both up and down. They do not attack, but if you hit them with your tongue or egg, they will get angry and lunge at you. Touching them will damage them, so avoid them.)
- In-game Character profile
I, am a Flying Wiggler.
I like the pretty flowers so much. Being surrounded by so many lovely things makes me so happy. HEY THERE! Don't step on my friends!
- Japanese language selected
わたしは おはなが とっても だいすき
おはなに かこまれてると とっても しおわせなの
もしも だいじな おはなを ふんづけたりしたら ゆるさないわよ！
(My name is Wiggler.)
(I love flowers so much! I love being surrounded by them, and they make me feel so sweet. And if you ever hurt my precious flowers, I won't let you get away with it! Hey!)
|Yoshi's Crafted World||Game/Assets/Characters/Enemy/HanachanImago||HanachanImago||Imago Wiggler|
Names in other languages
|Japanese||ハナちゃん / ハナチャン 
Huā zhī Zǐ
花毛毛 (since Super Mario Party)
|French||Papillette||Portmanteau of "papillon" (butterfly) and "paillette" (sequin)|
|German||Flatter||Transliteration of the English name|
|Italian||Fiorfalla||From "fiore" (flower) and "farfalla" (butterfly)|
- Miller, Kent, and Terry Munson. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 126.
- Showing Off The Flutter Ice Cream Event "Youtube"
- Kazuya Sakai (ed.). The Art of Super Mario Odyssey. First English Edition. Translated by TransPerfect. Milwaukie: Dark Horse, 2019. page 167. ISBN: 978-1-50671-375-5.
- 「スーパーマリオヨッシーアイランド任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 8.
- 「スーパーマリオアドバンス3任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Super Mario Advance 3 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 19.
- 「ヨッシー New アイランド 任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Yoshi's New Island Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook), page 22.