|Appears in||Mario Party 8|
|Music track||An Unexpected Surprise|
A piano is playing alone in a dark room, and the camera zooms into a picture with various enemies. Then, when lightning strikes, the piano stops playing, and the game starts.
The minigame takes place in a first-person perspective from the two players. The two players use flashlights to see in the dark and need to find three of the eleven enemies: Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Amp, Red Boo, Flutter, Fly Guy, Whomp, Thwomp, Piranha Plant, Lava Bubble, and penguin. When the minigame starts, the game randomly chooses about five to six of said enemies. Each enemy has a designated spot in the house, but when checking furniture, the player may find hidden ghosts that startle and stun the character for a short time. Ghosts are found only when a player checks sheets on pedestals, vases, and paintings. The first player to find three foes wins. If neither player finds three enemies within five minutes, the minigame ends in a tie.
The enemies are hidden in objects such as pictures, vases, the piano, and the table. Some pieces of furniture even hint at containing an enemy. For example, the painting a Red Boo can be found in depicts a moving image of said enemy if it is hidden within the painting.
Below is a list of all the enemies that can be found in the minigame. Not all enemies appear during the same attempt. The enemies that always appear are the Fly Guy, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, penguin, Piranha Plant, and Red Boo.
- An Amp is found under a plate cover on the table.
- A Flutter is hidden in the piano.
- A Fly Guy is found inside a picture with its face.
- A Goomba is found inside a white vase.
- A Koopa Troopa is covered with a sheet on a pedestal.
- A Lava Bubble is found in the fireplace.
- A penguin is found in a yellow vase.
- A Piranha Plant is found on a pedestal covered with a sheet.
- A Red Boo is found inside a picture.
- A Thwomp is found behind the right curtain of the window.
- A Whomp is found behind the left curtain of the window.
The lights come on, and all the enemies and the two participants pose for a photo. The winner and the loser make their winning and losing poses, respectively. The photo is taken, and the camera zooms out to show said picture hanging on the wall, with two ghosts laughing next to it.
- Wii Remote: Move flashlight
- – Move around room
- Rules – "Find the classic foes hiding in the furniture! Find three first! Ghosts won't count toward your score!"
- Hint – "You'll know if furniture is hiding something if it rattles when you shine your light on it."
Names in other languages
Obake no heya de kakurenbo
|Hide-and-Seek in the Ghost Room|
|French||Cache-Cache Potache||Schoolboy Hide and Seek|
|Italian||La Casa dei Fantasmi||The Ghost House|
|Korean||못 찾겠다 꾀꼬리
Mos Chajgessda Kkoekkoli
|I can't find it, Oriole|
- If a player opens the curtains at the window, the player can see a black void.